LED lamps

On Monday I got some LED lamps from Ikea as they're the cheapest retail that I could find and I needed ES[1].

My ex could do with some BC golf ball and candle format; there are plenty on e-bay BUT how can I tell if they're any good or just el cheapo crap?

Pointers towards good items/traders much appreciated.

[1] Ikea doesn't have BC or SBC - and the lamps aren't dimmable anyway (a local pub would like some dimmable ones and doing the landlord a favour...)

Thanks.

Reply to
PeterC

megaman fluorescent golf balls are good and come in BC. Don't know about their LEDs, though

Reply to
charles

mmm, the Megaman spiral CFLs that I have don't impress me - take too long to get going, so that's why I've put LEDs where the fittings get cold.

Reply to
PeterC

I can vouch for this supplier...

I got a set of 7W dimmable PAR30 E27 LED spots from him months ago and they've been absolutely fine. Not the cheapest, but about a third of the price retailers/onlineUK were wanting for the same lamps. Unlike another supplier, where two of three failed in a fortnight, but they were far cheaper. Price seems to be an indicator - the failed ones weren't total crap, just badly assembled and with buggral QC.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Thank you very much - just what I was after. It's easy to find LEDs but, as you've found out, more difficult to get good quality. Off to have a browse.

Reply to
PeterC

NP.

The supplier of the duff ones refunded my return postage and offered to send replacements or a refund. That was fasttech.com , who are quite good at customer relations. If they've addressed the QC issue and/or changed their supplier, I might just get some more from them, but if the second lot go toes-up, then never again from them. FT are ok for torches, etc.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Ah, they turned out to be all ES or SES as far as I could see.

More searching hasn't yet come up with anything definite, but I did find a guide to LEDs that looked sensible (to me):

PeterC

I take it there's no space for a converter socket in the fitting, then. That's all I used, but there are no fittings here with space restrictions on the lamp.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Most of the fittings for which I require them look weird with just a 40W ordinary bulb as it pokes out of the top or bottom, so the extra length would be worse unless golf-ball lamps were used. ISTR that she prefers candle type. Although the adaptors are about 60mm long, I don't know the nett addition to length - any info, please?

Reply to
PeterC

I measured one up - it adds about an inch to the overall length.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Thanks for that. Not as bad as I'd feared. It's too much for a small fitting with a candle lamp but should be OK with golf ball. I noticed some reviews for these adaptors on Amazon where there are really cheap 'n' nasty ones that are reminiscent of the old, crumbly, Bakelite ones of yore.

Reply to
PeterC