Saving on LED lamps

OK so from the BBC and they are using Sust-it for info.

Quote from that link

  1. Switch to LED lightbulbs Lighting makes up 11% of the average UK household's energy consumption, according to The Energy Saving Trust and Which?

Switching to LED bulbs can make a big difference.

A household using a dozen 40W incandescent or halogen bulbs for four hours a day could spend about £238 per year, Sust-it estimates. LED equivalents would cost £41.70 - a saving of £196.30 a year.

LED bulbs can cost more, but have a longer lifespan and will save money over time.

LEDs would use less than that. They seem to be saying you need a 7W LED to match a 40W Halogen. A 5W LED is enough and a good quality 4W LED is probably the same.

Adam

Reply to
ARW

Yes indeed. You can usually get the equivalent light output from an LED, with not much more that 10% of the power consumption of an incandescent lamp.

I've just done a major replacement exercise.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Care to recommend a supplier of the good quality ones please?

Reply to
Bev

Almost finished swapping out all my frequently used T5 and T4 fluorescents for LEDs. Just one T5HO 54W tube to go. Kitchen has gone from 147W fluorescent down to 61W LED, and is noticeably brighter. There's still a PL11 in the cooker hood which I have to think how to replace.

Elsewhere, got some 21W 2D on instant start electronic gear (21W 2D lamps are no longer available, although I have spares). Haven't decided how to replace those yet. I tried an LED replacement which is designed to run on fluorescent electronic ballasts, and it was too bright and only lasted 5 mins before letting out the magic smoke. (Fortunately the ballast wasn't damaged.)

Also got 6 x T8 58W tubes dotted around (5 on electronic control gear, 3 of those instant start in the garage on a 10 min occupancy sensor) but none are used much, and likewise for a T4 20W tube in the airing cupboard. Also a pair of T5HE 35W auto light level adjusting over my desk, although now using an LED upligher instead mostly - might just keep the uplighter.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I buy mine from Homebase. failure rate has been about 10% over a year or two, but is dropping

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But the 60 watt reflector blub in my anglepoise also keeps my hand warm while I am looking at all the wonderful uk.d-i-y posts :-)

It's the built-in 1000 hour life (if only) that annoys me.

Reply to
Andrew

Watch out for this interesting effect with ikea smart bulbs :-) -

Andrew

And there is no LED equivalent for Lou's vivarium and Sashka likes a hot lamp:-)

Reply to
ARW

Now for some reason the article chose 40W halogen lamps and said a dozen of then were used 4 hours a day.

I would have thought that 50W halogen GU10 spot lights would be more common and could be swapped for 5W LED equivalents.

So assuming a chandelier fitting or two with 40W golfball E14 fittings then Osram is what I would fit.

But I do not think it makes much difference.

Reply to
ARW

Before CFLs, lighting was the largest single use of electricity in the home.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

While you are of course 100% right I wonder if they are deliberately erring on the safe side in case people buy less efficient bulbs. Some of the so-called bargain shops around here sell shitty stuff. And I notice B&Q are selling what they say are 7W bulbs as 40W equivalent (though I wonder if that's a /reactive/ 7W).

Robin

I wish all comparisons between different lighting technologies would use the bulbs intensity measured in lumens

Starting with knowing a 40W halogen pumps out 400lm to 450lm its then easy to then specify and compare different LED offerings.

Reply to
Andy Bennet

What even in Brians case (storage radiators), and anyone with an electric cooker and/or shower ?

Reply to
Andrew

And all those wasteful incandescents produce a lot of heat, which is why they're 'wasteful'. So replacing them with LED's will mean your house will be just that little bit colder, or the central heating will have to work just that little bit harder to make up the difference.

Has anyone done a real cost benefit? I suppose if the LED's actually last 'for ever' then there might be a saving in the outlay on light bulb replacements...

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Probably not for Brian, but otherwise, yes, although IIRC washing machines using cold water only came a close second.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Thanks.

Reply to
Bev

Yebbut Adam said 'good quality' :)

Reply to
Bev

I bought mine in a sale from Wilko, (their own brand) about a year ago, they seem OK so far.

Reply to
Jack Harry Teesdale

I doubt if that has been the case since the early 1970's, what with colour TV's, VCR's, washing machines, tumble driers, hair dryers, central heating pumps, microwave ovens and electric showers.

Reply to
Jack Harry Teesdale

It came from a report I recall on the savings that CFLs would bring, so rather later than that.

Reply to
Colin Bignell