Saving on LED lamps

  1. LEDs assemblies do not have as long a lifespan as manufacturers suggest.

  1. There is a correlation between heating a room and lighting it. In this circumstance the light-to-power ratio is less significant.

Just balancing the thread. Personally, I use Incandescent, Fluorescent and LED. Horses for courses - plus, I have a big stock of Incandescents!

PA

Reply to
Peter Able

What you need to remember is these articles are written by journalists. Who generally need to get a man in to replace a light bulb. Accuracy is the last thing they are looking for.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Well remember buying some GU10 fittings from B&Q - came with bulbs. All of which failed in short order. Replacements from TLC, just fine.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I replaced 10 x 50watt bulbs in my kitchen with LED. My wife complained it was colder and turned the 2kw plinth heater on...

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

That's supposed to be a secret. But they are not that bad

I find that dimming the lights and taking clothes off has always made the room warmer:-)

And I have a stock of nakedness and a fit woman to cuddle up to should we get 3 hour power cuts this winter.

Reply to
ARW

Worth reassessing how much actual light you need in areas, too. When I changed mine to LED, I found many parts of the house had unnecessarily bright lightly, I found I could manage perfectly well with 2.5w LED, where there had previously been 60 or even 100w.

I also found it useful to have some choice of how a room was lit, a decent bright main centre light, or lights, with an option to use less bright lighting from wall lights, or bed side lighting, task lighting.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

+1
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

Single use is bogus. What matters is lighting compared with the rest.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Or a lesbian according to Sandi Toksvig

Reply to
Andrew

My Philips Hues do.

Not when you are using leds.

Irrelevant, actually.

But are wasting your money using them.

Reply to
Rod Speed

What the hell is she doing in your kitchen?

Reply to
ARW

What max failure rate would keep LED total cost less than incandescent?

Reply to
Dave W

ISTR that most of the CFL's sent out free by energy suppliers ended up stored in people's cupboards! I know mine did, they were worse than useless for light output. PS I now have LED's which I think are great.

Reply to
Jack Harry Teesdale

That obviously depends on the price of the bulbs.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Compared with stuff bought online, or CFL, that IS 'good quality'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I am definitely replacing less bulbs now they are nearly all LED. My worst were small candle bulbs - used to pop one every tume they were switched on. I still have lots of 12V 50W spotlamps that simply don't fail.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not in mine it wasnt

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well yes, a report written on behalf of a CFL manufacturer no doubt

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Radical idea. Learn your home in the dark and never put any lights on unless somebody visits?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Government figures for 2020, put lighting at 11% of domestic energy use, cooking (all sources) at 13%, Heating (all sources) at 11% and wet appliances (washing machines, tumble dryers, dishwashers) at 14%. Figures from 2012 show a 22% drop in electricity used for lighting, with a much higher drop predicted as LEDs came into wider use. Unfortunately, the 2019 government report on energy use, which included specific details on lighting no longer appears to be available online. However, this does suggest that the report was not wrong.

Reply to
Colin Bignell