Saving on LED lamps

Brian Gaff snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote

No point with an all electric house. Makes more sense to have very minimal led lighting so you can see where you are going and dont fall over the cat.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Got a link for that? I'd be interested to see if the energy used for heating increased slightly as LED's became more common, as per my post up-thread.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

That's not answering my question. You have now invested in all those LEDs - if one fails and you have to replace it, will the cost be more than the electricity you saved while it was working?

Reply to
Dave W

Well these days for example if a candle bulb did 40W for 2000 hours befoire dying, that's 64kWh of electricity you can add on to the cost of the bulb. So getting on for £20 at today's prices.

Looks like around 500 hours is break even.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I took my figures from this document:

I'm not sure that helps you much. However, as a result of your enquiry, I went to the Government web site and found this page, which gives the above document, but also lots of data tables.

If you download one of the spreadsheets 'ECUK 2020: End uses data tables' you will find table U7 gives a breakdown of all energy type and, after 1989, these are broken down by end use.

I have a feeling that the column headed lighting, should read lighting and appliances before 2009. Otherwise, there was a massive drop in electricity use for lighting that year.

Interesting that gas lighting still appears up to 2008.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

It almost certainly was in mine before the gas boiler broke down and I started using electricity for heating. I like a lot of light in every room, cook almost exclusively in the microwave and take my washing to the laundrette.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

'Fewer', not 'less'!

The problem I used to have with them was poor contacts in the lamp holder. They were MR16 (two titchy pins) and they weren't up to carrying 4A. I got shut of them except a few that I plan to do soon. Bill

Reply to
wrights...

Thanks for that. It'll take a bit of digesting!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Done a little bit of graph plotting from table U1, plotting energy used in domestic space heating and in lighting appliances, 1990 -

2019, and TBH it shows no trends at all. Energy used in lighting over that period is pretty much flat, mostly close to 6,500 ktoe (kilo tonnes of oil equivalent) with one or two outliers, no sign of an LED effect, and heating isn't much different, mostly between 25,000 and 30,000 ktoe, again with a few outliers. Plotting heating vs lighting is flat, whereas if my hypothesis was to look anything like plausible, as lighting fell, heating should rise, which it clearly doesn't.

Oh well, it was just a thought!

I wonder how long the UK or even the world will use ktoe when we've all gone carbon-free, and what units they will use instead. Simple KWh or TWh, I suppose. I don't know why they don't use them now.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Think it depends on local conditions. And how the bulb is mounted. LEDs do generate some heat, and that heat can kill the electronics more quickly.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

heating will vary per year with weather, can't ever remember anyone saying "turn the lights off, it's too hot in here" suspect it's a tiny effect only providing heat up near the ceiling ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

A 100w tungsten is quoted as having a life of 1000 hours. At current rates of 34p a kwh, will cost 34 quid in electricity. 1000 hours is about 3 hours use a day.

A 13w LED used for 1000 hours, 4.50 quid. Screwfix sell 4 13w LEDs for 15 quid. Guaranteed for a year.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I've got loads of them in the halls and stairs. Not had one fail yet.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

There can also be an issue with number of switching operations. I have some controlled by a PIR, and have had some failures, though recent performance has been better.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I've got 3 tubes in garage/shed, one has started getting slow to start, so might as well replace all three now and be done with.

The TLC LED replacements look reasonable 4000 lumen from 24 watts, the triphosphor tubes are daylight 5200 lumen I think, plenty of other LED replacements from toolstation/screwfix etc look like just 2000 lumen

any other good ones?

unfortunately no TLC counters nearby.

Reply to
Andy Burns

10% loss is good? Of the LEDs we have, we have lost 1 out of 33 in 4 to 5 years! They were almost all cheap, online buys.
Reply to
SteveW

My point was that the LED lamp as an assembly of many materials could be expected to fail long before the LED chip itself failed. Similar to Sylvania Incandescents. These fail at the solder joint at the bulb/cap meeting point far more often than by a filament failure - IME.

PA

Reply to
Peter Able

My point was that the LED lamp as an assembly of many materials could be expected to fail long before the LED chip itself failed. Similar to Sylvania Incandescents. These fail at the solder joint at the bulb/cap meeting point far more often than by a filament failure - IME.

PA

Reply to
Peter Able

I expect lots of people who have installed more efficient lighting are more inclined to leave more lights on around the house, because it's so much cheaper than it was before and, having paid for the LEDs, it would be a shame not to use them.

Reply to
Rob Morley

I changed half the lights in my office from 50W halogen to 4.5W 4000K LEDs, and before I did the other half I compared the two. The LEDs were definitely brighter than the halogens.

Reply to
wrights...