Subject Author Posted Replies

wiring two pumps/valves on CH/HW system
I've been modifying our CH/HW system. Converting the gravity HW system to pumped. With a new separate pump and 2 port valve for the HW and a zone valve on the CH circuit. (I decided that because of...
16
16

Surprise
Bill https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11023364/surprise.JPG
3
3

OT: For the Thorium enthusiasts!
one-million-miles/ Enjoy! TOJ. A US company says it will have a nuclear-powered prototype vehicle on the road within two years. Laser Power Systems from Connecticut is developing a method of...
39
39

GU10 LED - From Homebase
I have just bought some GU10 spots - 11.99 for 2. Identical size to halogens. Look good. Dimmable or not. Cool or warm.
13
13

OT - ceramic knife blades
We needed some new small knives for the kitchen, so I bought some ceramic paring knives from Lidl. O.K. - ceramic suggests some kind of fused glass/clay material instead of metal. Paring knife...
33
33

Have you installed or considered installing solar PV panels? Need help with a project
Today, 12:37 PM Hello all, I am a third year student at the University of East Anglia researching the decision process behind why people choose to install or not install solar photovoltaic (PV) panels...
12
12

B&Q Luton
I heard that B&Q Warehouse in Luton is planning a significant shrink in size, turning over much of its premises to Morrisons. A sign of changing times perhaps - maybe less DIY, but also many more...
37
37

PVC tubing grade
I have a need for 5m of pvc tubing ......12mm bore. The existing (new) tubing is too short, I have purchased some ... but unfortunately there is a 'difference' in material. A bit non-technical but the...
5
5

WEell OT: iPhone and photo storage
Sorry for OT-ness but this group has such a diverse and keen knowledge of things ;o) Right, iPhone 4S, iOS 6.0 (yes, I know they're up to 7.x but each update breaks something else and it's working...
13
13

Outdoor signs: a cheap way of doing them
I needed some half A4-sized customised signs (adhesive or screw-on) to go outdoors. I got prices. They seemed high. I wondered if I could print the signs and then lacquer them. I experimented with a...
27
27

LED car lights - repair
My car has a central brake light which no longer lights up properly. The light is made up of a row of 16 LEDs. The LEDs are divided into four groups of four. The LEDs in each group are connected in...
27
27

PING: Chemists / metallurgists.
Hi All, I've been experimenting with de-rusting of 'stuff', initially using 'electro', then chemical with Deox-C and now citric acid. So, not sure where to start concentration-wise I mixed 1kg of...
15
15

Antifreeze Q
I have an almost full 5L container of "CarPlan All Season Antifreeze concentrate." ASA 005 This is a number of years old ... but container has been sealed at all times ... inside it is still the...
18
18

OT: Engineering the 2012 Olympics Ceremonies - Lecture
A little late, but I have just come across this 1 hour technical lecture about the engineering aspects of the 2012 Olympics & Paralympics opening & closing ceremonies. It fascinated me, and I guess...
3
3

Energy saving linear halogen
I have an outside floodlight with a failed bulb. Removing the bulb to establish properties revealed it to be a 240V/300W 117mm linear halogen. Now going to my friendly electrical spares shop revealed...
20
20