Subject Author Posted Replies

Wooden door Catching
Have an old solid mahogony front door that has just started really sticking. Connected I think to the onset of the damp weather here. For the life of me, i cannot see where its chaffing. There doesn't...
4
4

glass for a fanlight....
been asked to help out with a new fanlight (window above a door to let light in to internal corridor). Stud wall so seems plain sailing - only - how thick glass should be put in? apparently there are...
15
15

It never rains - RCBO tripping
Not really a request for help - more of a moan... *sigh* up to my nose in stressville these few months (work and other stuff), now one RCBO protected ring has tripped *twice* this morning. The one...
23
23

Honeywell Captive escaped!
Was taking a Honeywell motorised head off a zone valve and one of the captive screws wasnt really captive. D****d thing fell out down the bck of the HW cylinder and is gone forever. Does any one know...
2
2

Interesting broadband problem
Since it started raining over the past couple of weeks I have had very intermittent ADSL. For much of the time I get a connection for a minute or two, then lose it for a minute or two, and so forth....
17
17

Sikkens/Rubbol Paints.
I had a lot of exterior painting done by a professional company. I find that the Rubbol Satura has weathered very badly after 3 years, It is recommended for exterior hardwood and exterior joinery,...
3
3

Solid wood vs. engineered wood floors
Hi All, I know this topic has been fairly well covered in the past, but I'd be inte rested in an up-to-date round up of consensus from anyone who's been in thi s debate in recent times, as I am soon...
16
16

Loft truss bracing
My new ( to me) bungalow is approx 55 feet x 30 feet, built 20 years ago and about exactly the same dimensions as a friend's bungalow in the same area. My loft is a spiderweb of horizontal wooden...
9
9

Condensation issue
Toilet/shower room roughly 2 x 3 metres. Condensation is an issue in it with mould forming on the grouting (tiles) I will be ripping it apart and redoing the complete room but maybe a year or so away....
5
5

Pipes - The awkward bit.
Hi all, I've never been particularly wonderful with the pipe benders but I've just managed to quite impress myself, so I thought I'd post some photos for you all to heap praise on and not take the...
23
23

Trying to find trunking
Hi Just had central heating ssytem replaced, and there are some new copper pipes running vertically, very close to the back door, hinge side, that I want to conceal/disguise. The easiest solution...
4
4

Quote Check- Baxi 105 Automatic Air Valve and more
My Mom has had a central heating boiler service and another bit of minor plumbing done by a local heating/plumbing co. The prices for that seemed slightly on the high side, but the firm seem reliable,...
7
7

Hi-tech Delivery?
Just had a delivery. I was given the two sheet delivery note to sign (my copy, their copy) and a slightly chunky pen. As I signed the pen vibrated. I asked what was special about the pen. Apparently...
8
8

OT:Decisions, decisions ..
What to do with 227 Royal Mail shares ? Instinct is to sell £750 worth, and keep the rest ...
7
7

Winterising a leaking flat roof (garage)
On Monday 21 October 2013 09:54 Martin Brown wrote in uk.d-i-y: A job for flashband?
5
5