Sikkens/Rubbol Paints.

I had a lot of exterior painting done by a professional company.

I find that the Rubbol Satura has weathered very badly after 3 years,

It is recommended for exterior hardwood and exterior joinery, etc. Flaking, splitting etc

This was insisted by the painters, it is very expensive, it is by ICI AkzoNobel with all the b******s about being formulated to new compliant formulations. Not a patch on my frequently used Dulux Exterior.

Has anyone had similar experiences?

Regards

Colin

Reply to
cojack

Had similar with a pliolite paint on masonry, total pants it was. Not Rubboff brand. You often don't get what you pay for.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I use Sikkens on all my external hardwood - Filter 7 ...

Certainly won't last 7 years, but it is a good product.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Two issues...

#1 - Is Satura the new super long life paint? If so it needs perfectly good wood, old timber is often not ideal. The old Sikkens Rubbol AZ was a 4-5yr overcoatable paint (by year 4 it was chalking ). Then Sikkens extended the range with some super long life paints **BUT** at the expense of being very intolerant of older timber re movement, level of denaturing, pre-existing moisture content etc. Adhesion to old primers can be suspect I noticed (used it in a few places).

#2 - This will be the new lower VOC paints? To be honest, they are not as good as the old "destroy your sinuses" Sikken s. The old Onol Express is gone too re very high VOC.

The key benefit of the Sikkens paint was overcoatable, but diminishing tole rance to wood quality as you pushed the lifespan higher. The key benefit of (say) Weathershield was quite tolerant to wood condition, but flaked off a nd wood nearly always wet when stripped off in summer, and not overcoatable .

Both Weathershield and Sikkens have taken a bashing from the new low VOC ru les - it affected them in different ways (Weathershield lost its good prim er and the white could blow up on you turning yellow, Sikkens as above).

Unfortunately EU is run by Melons, and as such they must live in a separate universe to the rest of us... or use linseed oil paints with a lot of tita nium dioxide.

Reply to
js.b1