WEell OT: iPhone and photo storage

Sorry for OT-ness but this group has such a diverse and keen knowledge of things ;o)

Right, iPhone 4S, iOS 6.0 (yes, I know they're up to 7.x but each update breaks something else and it's working well with good battery life now so if it ain't broke...)

I had over 500 photos on it so copied them over to the computer using Windows Explorer, then deleted off phone. I need to put about two dozen back on the phone, but it won't let me put them back where they came from.

When viewed in Windows Explorer (Win 7 SP1 64-bit) the iPhone just shows up as a removable device. Double-clicking it then shows a folder called DCIM and double-clicking that shows a folder called 860OKMZO and all the photos were in there. When I select the two dozen I want to put back in there, I can drag and drop them in the "Root of removable device" but I can't drop them in either the DCIM folder or the 860OKMZO folder. They came out of there so why won't they go back in there? Is there any way to get them back in there?

Reply to
Dave

Couldn't you upload them to your cloud space? Then they would appear in your photstream.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Thanks for your reply Tim. To be honest I never thought of doing that so I'll give it a try. But two things - 1)"cloud space" and "photostream" would suggest that the photos would not be on the actual phone for 'offline' viewing, which I need them to be, and 2)even if it works, it doesn't answer the actual question - why can't I just put them back where they came from using the age-old method of drag and drop from Windows Explorer. After all, that's how I got them off the phone in the first place. Cheers.

Reply to
Dave

Your phone should sync with the cloud store. They are available off-line.

No idea, never even tried with my phone.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Ah, brilliant, cheers sir

Reply to
Dave

'cause it's apple and you aren't doing it the apple way, iTunes?

'cause if you transfer stuff directly to your phone "they" don't get a chance to analyse what it is.

'cause using the cloud pushes up your data use and thus revenues for the mobile operators.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

iTunes will let you upload to the phone without reliance on the cloud/web access

It is an apple "feature" you can mount the phone on a PC as if it is a camera but only transfer from phone to computer not the reverse. You might find an iPhone being more cooperative with a iPad/pod/mac but I've not got such things to try it.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Like the old joke about getting directions from an Irishman. "I wouldn't have started from here".

Reply to
newshound

I'm going back to Android as soon as I can - I hate Apple way or no way.

Reply to
Dave

No doubt all of the above. Thanks, and as I said to Bob, I'm going back to Android as soon as I can :-)

Reply to
Dave

Dave has brought this to us :

Thanks all, done it now but just another nail in my Apple coffin.

Reply to
Dave

On Friday 18 October 2013 12:44 Tim+ wrote in uk.d-i-y:

As long as you don't mind the NSA, GCHQ and random hackers having access to your photos.

I don't care about many of mine, but I would *never* put certain photos of my family on any service I did not control.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Use an alternative to iTunes. Last Iphone I had I was using MediaMonkey whi ch (is free) allowed for simple drag and drop - you still need iTunes insta lled, but it was much easier/simpler. There are others out there too, but t hat's the one I remember having best success with.

Reply to
greyridersalso

In article , Tim+ writes

Still using a 3GS, but next phone will be Android, I think.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson