Subject Author Posted Replies

WallStar oil boiler diagnosis
Hi, My WallStar oil boiler (through-the-wall but otherwise conventional, non-co ndensing, not "system") has developed a fault which I feel is probably easy to fix if someone can help me understand how...
17
17

Gridwatch news
Dungeness is now back online and coming up to full power on the second reactor. Only two reactors in the UK are down for statutory inspection, and one operating on 75% of capacity due to a boiler...
31
31

Mould
Can anyone advise the best course of action to get rid of mould growth beneath a bay window? Not sure whether it's caused by penetration (outside of the house is rendered), or whether condensation is...
11
11

Testing bell push battery 12 volt
The front door bell push on my *wireless* doorchimes (made by Byron) has a small 12 volt A23S battery in it. The chimes have stopped working, and i've tested the AA batteries in the chime unit and...
30
30

Gah, too much screw choice
Perusing Screwfix and toolstation websites, there are tooo many screws!! - I can't decide. So what are your faves? Current purchase is for doing some studwalling, using an impact driver, but any...
34
34

Security Euro cyclinder
Asked to remove a high security euro cylinder today, customer had the original instructions, but no keys. Instructions claimed it was; Anti Pick. (didn't try). Anti Bump. (didn't try). Anti Drill. It...
33
33

Sourcing 4 1/4" tiles?
A friend has a shower cubicle that needs some work at the bottom so the plan is to remove the lower 6 rows (or so) of tiles, repair whatever evils are lurking behind and then to re-tile in a band all...

Wifi TRVs
So reading into these wifi thermostat things, I learned that some of them can also control wireless TRVs to more precisely regulate the temperature of individual rooms according to a schedule. Our...
28
28

Insulating dwarf walls in loft conversion
My loft conversion has dwarf walls (about 1m high) which go up from the floor to meet the pitched ceiling. They currently have 50mm of rockwool insulation between the studs, half of which is falling...
8
8

"We Dont Know How To Recall A Planetary Scale Geoengineering Project"
Hope i got tha qote right,, my short term is abit iffy... Article here.... Pull quote here lorem ipsumdolor sit amet 1 I t is beyond dispute that cumulative, local interven-tions in ecosystems can...
6
6

shifting around a heavy fridge freezer
I have ordered a side by side American style fridge freezer (actually the o nes made for UK are much smaller than the real US ones !), but it is 115kg. It should only be wheeled in straight lines back...
10
10

Double glazed sash wndows and catches
Plenty of time to scheme today as I've been trying to strip old paint (see earlier post!) A litle while ago, I asked for advice on replacing sash windows. Plenty of discussion, followed by getting...
14
14

Info only regarding Utility bills
Just thought I would pass on my achievements in trying to cut down on my gas/elec bills over the last couple of years. Its a 4 bed house and occupied 24/7. 3 years ago our bills were approx £1500 for...
5
5

Alternatives to putty?
What alternatives are there to linseed oil putty for padding glass into an internal door? The doors are clear pine and will be varnished. I guess the varnishing needs to be done before the glazing so...
9
9

Wanted - Mira shower part
Yes I know you can get the complete unit from Mira for around £30, but it seems silly to pay that when I am neither that desperate, nor when I only need one small plastic part of the whole...
18
18