shifting around a heavy fridge freezer

I have ordered a side by side American style fridge freezer (actually the o nes made for UK are much smaller than the real US ones !), but it is 115kg. It should only be wheeled in straight lines back and forth and probably on hardboard to avoid damaging the floor. I'm sure the delivery guys will be strong. I used to be strong but these days my back lets me down.

I will need to shift this thing around and left and right a few times to wo rk out the best location in the limited space we have. Last time I did that sort of thing I broke the feet off the fridge ! Any ideas for the best way to shift the thing left and right in a practical manner without damaging t he legs or the floor ?

Cheers, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Short of going out and buying some wheeled gadgets to slip under it, I had a similar issue moving a wash machine, What I did (using stuff I had) was cut a couple of pieces of timber that could slide under the machine to keep the wheels/feet of the tile then I had another piece about 30 inches long 2x2. If you imagine this 2x2 lying on the floor and at one end say last 6 inches I plane it to make it thinner, this allowed me to push the thinner part under the machine and lever it up which allowed me to slide the other pieces of timber under the machine, one at the front and one at the back OR left and right. I manouvered the machine on the pieces of timber until I got the correct position and used the lever to lift and then extract my timber.

Reply to
ss

ones made for UK are much smaller than the real US ones !), but it is 115k g. It should only be wheeled in straight lines back and forth and probably on hardboard to avoid damaging the floor. I'm sure the delivery guys will b e strong. I used to be strong but these days my back lets me down.

work out the best location in the limited space we have. Last time I did th at sort of thing I broke the feet off the fridge ! Any ideas for the best w ay to shift the thing left and right in a practical manner without damaging the legs or the floor ?

You could try placing it on blanket. Then a combination of pulling on the blanket and pushing on the freezer may work but I think there has to be a l ifting point on it somewhere which would allow the use of a sack trolley. T he packaging may show this

Reply to
fred

If it's anything like ours, it will come with integral wheels rather than legs.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I use a sack barrow but a bit of old carpet works as suggested above.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Need to be careful when tipping to the balance point that the front edge of the plate isn't punching a hole into the bottom of what ever it is you are trying to shift.

Pile side down works better than pile side up.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I made one up. Didn't take long or cost much. Used double thicknesses of chipboard screwed together and four suitable castors off Ebay. It makes this kind of thing much easier - but getting the load on and off is still a pain.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

And might be totally unnecessary. The OP needs to find out if it has wheels as standard.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Folks, it has wheels that are only to be rolled forward and back. Then some legs can be wound down to level it up. The point is how to nudge it left a nd right to get it lined up correctly. You can do this by pulling it out a distance then wheeling it back in at a slight angle, but that's a right pai n. I might get some of those furniture sliders (PTFE coated) and run them on t op of the shiney side of some hardboard. Anyway, ordered, delivery time up to 35 days, but 100 quid cheaper from argos ! Si.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

To be frank, rolling it back and forth a bit to centralise it sounds way simpler that what you're proposing.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

It has got that way ! Simon.