Subject Author Posted Replies

Grout?
I want to be able to string some temporary electric fence tape across a stable yard which is too "solid" to take spike-type fence posts. I have rigid fixing points at each end, but want some...
7
7

Which imperial nut size?
I want to repair an old chair leg which is held on with a nut which is missing. The neatest way will be to find a nut the right size. A M8 nut almost fits but binds after a turn or so, so I think it...
19
19

OT: Binocs
Off-topic, but I know the crowd here will have useful, practical opinions: My binocs (8x40s) are now rather old, 15-20 years. I love them more than any pair of mini-binocs I've tried because of the...
42
42

Central heating system with no thermostat (again^2)
I've now visited elderly relative armed with the helpful advice about her central heating system given in December. May I check what I think I found? The b/g in brief was that British Gas had told her...
6
6

Studley Tool Chest
Fast forward to photo 55 Click on pic to get background story. A gallery of the top 75 'Pictures of the Day' featured on TwistedSifter for 2013. A quarterly compilation that will end in an epic top...
3
3

Plastic pipe
Following the enquiry here about a leaking pipe I asked the leading expert in the UK, who happens to be a friend of mine. Dear Bill, Plastic pipes generally don?t develop pinhole leaks (unlike copper...
4
4

Well it kept me busy over christmas...
Been nailing planks together again... (Feel free to translate into English where required!) Let me know where it makes no sense at all ;-)...
29
29

Slow filling bath.
Was visiting my niece on Wednesday, and she mentioned a slow filling bath. Or rather my brother did. More like a trickle from both hot and cold. Is a 70s house with header tank and storage system....
15
15

Microwave ovens
Have been looking for a new built in microwave with true controllable power for a couple of years. Found this article which may be of interest:- What they don't say is that many of these microwave...
9
9

Weather whingers
Looking at this: we're a lot better off today about being warned that stuff is on its way, not that this prevents some moaning. I see also that UK Power Networks puts out Twitter updates about...

OT Pickeys take CRT TVs
What value do they have as scrap? The plastic must have no value as they smashed that off and left it behind before taking the rest of it away and then they smashed the glass screen halfway down the...
52
52

Wall hung WC - soil pipe routing
SWMBO wants a wall hung WC in the new bathroom. The current arrangement is a normal close coupled toilet, soil pipe exits horizontally, immediate 90 d egree bend right, and then a short run (well...
2
2

Odd guttering.
I clean a lot of gutters this time of year. Recently came across some odd ones. One small estate had solid concrete gutters! Lined with what looks like bitumen, seemed to be precast then built into...
6
6

OT; WTF is a .vcf file?
Recently two different landlords have asked me about jobs via text message. When asked for tenants details, both have replied with what looks like a text but is titled something like ' I've tried to...
17
17

When to switch off the immersion
When going away for a few days, we are always in a quandry about switching off the immersion heater. We are an all electric house, with ecconomy 7 electric supply. The immersion is timed to switch on...
10
10