Subject Author Posted Replies

OT: Has your Iphone been Spying on You?
See The Mystery of CVE-2023-38606 podcast at Security Now! Weekly Internet Security Podcast. This week describing the newly revealed SockStress TCP stack vulnerabilities.
5
5

Wanted: Ground penetrating radar for gardeners
SWMBO had bought six new rose plants (bare rooted) and has been trying to plant them near a large silver birch. She decided where she wanted each one, and started to dig a hole. Large tree root. She...
20
20

Workshop heating - success!
I've finally found the tuit to get a cheap Chinese diesel air heater running in the workshop - it's great! They have a reputation for being unreliable but that seems to be down to switching off the...
11
11

"Air Fryers"
Are selling like Dutch tulips did 300 years ago. If the manufacturers were honest, and described them as what they really are - just compact electric ovens that sit on your worktop - I'll wager they...
123
123

I have a Y plan system boiler . The boiler fires up for not water but will not fire up for central heating.
I have a Y plan system boiler the boiler fires up for not water but will not fire up for central heating
2
2

Smart Meters: Should You Get One?
Channel 5, Wednesday 31 January 21:00 - 21:58 or again Saturday 3 February 17:55 - 18:40 Had mine for over two years now and it behaves just as it should AFAICT.
32
32

Solar Panels . . .
I'm due to have a new roof in the next month or so, and the roofer has told me he can install some solar panels 'while he's up there'. I'd imagine there'd be an installation cost, but it'd likely be...
56
56

LED lamps turning off and on independently
Thanks, but there's no pots involved. They're open to the void above the ceiling and below the roof which is why I'm not sure if it is overheating and, if it is, which component, lamp or transformer...
40
40

This week's challenge
Yesterday a 240° external corner PIR mounted on brick gave up the ghost after 10 years, as the IR-transparent cover had gone brittle and cracked, allowing water in. An identical replacement was no...
7
7

Chateau DIY
I've recently discovered this C4 programme and have been watching it on catchup. One of the chateau owners said that it was important to do things sustainably - while at the same time he's encouraging...
22
22

Where Groundwater Levels Are Falling, and Rising, Worldwide
Where Groundwater Levels Are Falling, and Rising, Worldwide By Erdenesanaa and Rojanasakul, Jan. 24, 2024, New York Times An investigation into nearly 1,700 aquifers across more than 40 countries...

A real UPS
We had a 2-hour sudden volts outage today apparently because they had to cut the power to protect some guys doing some emergency work. My UPS behaved well, and by dint of turning off the computers,...
11
11

Replacement boiler considerations
As per subject I would appreciate any comments on my notes for a replacement boiler. Property is an extended bungalow, late 60's build, fairly well insulated, 11 radiators, shower room and bathroom...
63
63

Wondering how to pay British Gas "New Energy" by BACS transfer
British Gas recently moved my account to their "New Energy" system. They supply only gas to me. I usually pay by BACS bank transfer where I contact my bank and tell them how much to pay. (I prefer...
11
11

Too smart for its own good?
WiFi RCBO <> A look at a dangerously ill-conceived product