Wondering how to pay British Gas "New Energy" by BACS transfer

British Gas recently moved my account to their "New Energy" system. They supply only gas to me.

I usually pay by BACS bank transfer where I contact my bank and tell them how much to pay. (I prefer this to Direct Debit or to phoning a payment line, as I don't trust British Gas.)

However none of British Gas customer service reps can provide BACS sort code and account details for payment to the "New Energy" system. My bank doesn't know these details either. I tried both several times.

Nor does the paperwork or web pages say anything about the BACS details either.

Does anyone know if payments for "New Energy" should be made using British Gas's old bank details?

Reply to
Pamela

They moved my (dual fuel) supply over to their new system

once logged in, I can pay by plastic, or google pay

The giro slip on the bill does show a sort code plus the A99999999 customer reference, but nothing that's a normal 8 digit account number for them

Reply to
Andy Burns

If you're logging in to your British Gas account then you are half way to asking British Gas to draw the money on your behalf.

I don't trust them enough to keep my bank details and then helping themselves when they wish.

British Gas once overcharged me by a large amount on a property which I don't live in (and which hardly uses any gas). It took forever and many phone calls to get the overpaid money back.

Reply to
Pamela

Not when I've *never* had a direct debit with them.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Same for my Natwest credit card.

I'm not 100% sure but I think the account field is 8 or 10 zeroes for payment details, and it works off the sort code and refeence.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

So it's not on the bill, in the bit marked "Ways to pay" ??

Reply to
Tim Streater

Yes, but I don't generally go around sending money to accounts that I

*think* are the right ones ...
Reply to
Andy Burns

Well, no, but I was pointing out that an account number isn't necessarily required for some payments.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

Nor did I, with lots of justification for not trusting them - Do what I did, move to a supplier you can trust.

Octopus seem to be very trustworthy, referral link here - https://share.octopus.energy/jade-light-417

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

I rang them up when they changed my account number and they refused to give me their account number for a bank transfer. They said it was "impossible". So I contacted them via their chat line, which communicates with a real human:

The helpful human immediately gave the following details: Account number - 60007331 Sort code - 40-41-70

This may well be the same for you; I don't know what the "New Energy" system is, but my account number begins with an A.

You could always make a (possibly small) payment to that number and check that your account has been credited. You can do this by ringing

0330 818 0004, saying you want to pay (though you aren't) and it tells you your balance.
Reply to
Max Demian

I'd pay by cheque if I were you.

Reply to