Subject Author Posted Replies

How to stop mice getting up a pole?
We've hung some bird feeders off the arms of a metal post in the garden, but have recently noticed small mice lying down Roman style to eat the lower peanuts, and deterring birds from visiting. $64...
32
32

Anyone tried the Parcel Dropbox from postboxshop.com?
Has anyone tried this? I don't mind spending the money if it's really as good as it's supposed to be. PARCEL DROP BOX - Extra Large Capacity for your mail, newspapers and parcels The most frustrating...
8
8

Light Fitting Wiring
I have to fit a new light fitting in my daughters bathroom. She has bought a light fitting suitable for bathrooms with an enclosed box containing the wiring connections for L,N and E. The existing...
9
9

OT Solar power.
Not be long before it's the same here. No wonder the mine owners in Oz are getting so desperate to export their coal. As early as 2018, solar could be economically viable to power big cities. By 2040...
83
83

Not one but two boilers.........
Hi, I've been looking around at houses to buy and one place I viewed recently (that the wife is interested in) had a garage conversion and an extended en suite upstairs. What surprised me though was...
20
20

changing cooker control switch (with socket) into double socket
As subject really . Any gotchas? Are the wires likely to fit in a standard double socket's terminals? What about the presumably enormous backbox for the enormous existing faceplate? Ought else? TIA...
21
21

wiki sound insulation
looking on the wiki for info about sound insulation, but it seems to assume that all insulation is for heat... [g] Insulation - DIYWiki
4
4

calling the plumbers..
Some years back there was a thread here on CH zone valves. My Honeywell hot water zone valve has begun to be a nuisance: not fully opening to operate the limit switch. Initially this was fixed by...
10
10

Load on Bearings
Hi gang, I'm going to make up some skates to make it easier to move around my burgeoning collection of light industrial machinery. None of my machines weighs more than 1,000kg, so four skates with two...
17
17

OT: But will the EU listen?
Dear Commisioner, On behalf of the Ministers of Bulgaria, France, Hungary, Lithuania, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia and the United Kingdom responsible for energy policy, I take the liberty to...
12
12

Alternative bracket for wardrobe organiser - suggestions please.
Just installed a wardrobe organiser which came with these brackets: Because they doesn't clamp around the hanger bar, a load any distance away from a vertical strut tends to pull the bar downwards: I...
1
1

Reviving 14v Ni-MH batteries
I've seen the technique on youtube to revive NiCad batteries. Can I use the same technique to revive MiMH? Cheers.
8
8

"Four Ton Jack"
I've just bought one of these: Pity I can't get across from a mere photo how dinky this thing is for a claimed 4 tons. I recall having 4 ton hydraulic bottle jacks in the 70 and they were very hefty &...
11
11

My bodge of the week
Kitchen mixer was leaking from the swivel joint. Bought O rings from the shed. I found one the right diameter, but it was too thick. Filed some of the rubber off with a metal file, and eventually it...
15
15

Current (2014) good CCTV cameras - wifi
Anyone bought one recently? It's such a changeable market - hence the posting here... I'm after a couple of home that I can mount under the soffits - we've been having pikies at work in the village...
19
19