Subject Author Posted Replies

2-part thing to neaten a hole through a hollow wall?
This is one of those "does it exist & if so, what's it called?" posts. I want to stick a cupboard up on a hollow wall (plasterboard on one side of the studs, lath & plaster on the other, I think),...
9
9

Kitchen tap reviver questions
My elderly mother (94) has arthritis in her hands, and has a bit of trouble using the taps on kitchen sink (which is some 55 years old). I planned to fit some quarter-turn tap revivers with lever...
8
8

5 point door locks
What's the point in those fancy 5 point door locks, when you can simply put your foot straight through those stupid modern PVC doors? They're hollow! Wood is far better.
4
4

TOT Fund raising in Japan.
This sure beats having ice cold water poured over your head! X rated? https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8TdvpIYiQZbc0tiSzZpNTVxZGc/edit?usp=drive_web
6
6

[OT] It's official - gigabit is too slow for home...
Just transferring files over to my new Dell laptop that I retrofitted with a 512GB Plextor SSD that measures in at 300-odd MB/s speed (read and write on ZFS) Even with a cable between them, it's...
1
1

Anyone want a 100A ammeter?
I spotted 3 in a building that are no longer in use. They are about the same size as an old electric meter so bear that in mind when it comes to P&P. No charge for the ammeter itself. Obviously I am...
10
10

Retro DIY?
I recently replaced our digital CH timer/thermostat with a good old fashioned twiddly knob bi-metal thermostat that goes "click" and lights up. It felt like "coming home". My wife and I both hated the...
74
74

Phone.
My trusty old Nokia N95 is giving up the ghost. Doesn't appear to be the battery - which is original. I'm on PAYG so will have to pay full price for a replacement. I'd like a new one with at least as...
104
104

Timer press-switch rated 400w for 350w shower pump?
Obviously 350w is under 400w but when the pump spins up could it surge instantaneously past 400w, and if so will it fry the switch? Kind regards Jon Online retailers of Varilight switches and sockets;...
11
11

plasma cutter tips identification
Tonight I borrowed a plasma cutter from a mate, in return I'll get him some tips. I have spent longer on the internet looking for the tips than it wil l take to cut the 3mm steel. It is a MUREX...
1
1

Saxton Blades offer
FYI No connection etc. http://www.saxtonblades.co.uk/15-blade-wood-mix---pack-e-p493
1
1

Have RC clocks been playing up recently?
By my bed I have an RC clock, badged by Wm. Widdop. Belonged to my late FIL and has given years of good service. A few days back I woke to find it was *exactly* 4 hours slow. New battery time thinks...
11
11

Access holes in chipboard floors
Hi all. Today I had to pull 8 runs of CAT5 under my lounge floor. The flooring is T&G chipboard that has had all the joints glued, therefore not possible to lift. I have in the past used large access...
11
11

Tax disk holder
Just noticed there are still 100s of tax disk holders for sale on Ebay. What other use can they have? Mike
16
16

LED lamps for general lighting
We have a few light fittings with LED GU10's and a one with an R40 spotlight bulb in, and the are fine (though the R40 doesn't really work so well in the fitting it is in as it is a frosted glass...
21
21