Subject Author Posted Replies

Stannah stair lifts
We had one fitted for MIL on one of the staircases, two rails with quite complicated curves. It hasn't been used since she died a few years ago, I am inclined to leave the rails in place but it would...
8
8

Cooker Hood - Maximum Duct length?
I would like to change a cooker hood from recirculation to extraction to outside. The hood is mounted on an internal wall, however as the property is a bungalow it may be possible to run a rectangular...
16
16

OT? Sonos advice please.
Hi All, Could anyone experienced with multi-unit Sonos installs (ideally CONNECT:AMP) give me some advice re the (ideal?) configuration please? A non-technical mate has such a system and apparently it...
4
4

Headlight (low beam) not working (Nissan Tino 1.8, 2001)
Car electrics... gha! The offside low beam headlight on my Noosan Tino 1.8, 2001 has stopped working I checked the single-filament bulb. It's fine I checcked for voltage to the connectors. There is no...
56
56

OT: recommendation for ebook reader (.epub) on Windows?
Been given a draft ebook to review. Got ebook on my Android device fine. Would like to get it onto Windows as well (for various reasons). What does the group recommend for a viewer for a .epub book on...
11
11

cement mixes
Hello, I read this on the paving expert web site: "There is often a temptation for installers to use either a mortar with a higher cement content, say a 3:1 mix in place of a 6:1 mix, to use PVA as an...
20
20

OT doghouse
She was giving me a bit of a massage, rubbing my back to ease the pain. I said, dreamily, "Oh I am a lucky man!"! "Why's that darling?" "Well I was just thinking, I've got just about every power tool...
8
8

Boiler Problems
Looks like they've sorted out the boiler problems they have had at Heysham and Hartlepool for quite a while: H1 R2 G2 at full load for the first time in ages. Heysham 1 Update: 01 Dec 2015 11.47hrs...
11
11

screwfix titan pillar drill
Hello, Has anyone seen Screwfix's own brand Titan pillar drill: It sounds quite good. It has a page and half of glowing reviews, although the last three are very critical, so I don't know which to...
33
33

Switch off but bulbs on(ish) puzzle
I've just replaced 5 33W G9 halogen bulbs in a light fitting with 1W G9 LED bulbs. As I swapped the bulbs one by one all seemed normal until I unplugged the last halogen at which point the other four...
22
22

Apprentice Electrician
If you go to this page: Scroll down and click on figure 5 you will see a depiction of a first year electrical apprentice in a typical working pose. Enjoy....
13
13

[Possibly OT] Landlord's question
We have a rental property which is managed by an agent. Latest missive says that, due to recent legislation: (1) We have to fit suitable smoke and CO alarms (smoke upstairs and downstairs). (2) We...
23
23

How to stiffen loose floorboard.
Situation: This floorboard is at the door entry to the shower room, I have just lifted the old tiles and that one had a crack, now I know why. I will be laying new tiles soon and the problem is that...
8
8

corrugated roofing material
I need to put a car-port-style roof over a chicken yard. It's only about 12foot by 15ft. Can anyone suggest a suitable type of material? This is a windy area. Bill
11
11

Source of floor tiles
I'm after a small quantity of floor tiles following a flood: Pergo Charcoal Slate - Expression Slab 4v .. Product reference 74928-1452.. Dimensions are 328mmx635mm Can't seem to find any online...