Stannah stair lifts

We had one fitted for MIL on one of the staircases, two rails with quite complicated curves. It hasn't been used since she died a few years ago, I am inclined to leave the rails in place but it would be nice to remove the chair, until next required.

They seem to be cunningly designed so that only their approved contractors can work on them (e.g. I'm buggered if I can see how to get the batteries out to replace them).

I thought at first that the seat might "lift off" after removing the constraints, but it looks to me as though you might need to wind it off at the top, after removing the fairly simple "stop". Anyone know if this is correct?

I've made a tool so that I can hand-wind it with a brace (and possibly with the cordless drill) but before I take it up to the top it would be nice to confirm if this is the way it is done. Otherwise I could see myself ending up with a landing and stairwell full of ping-fuckits.

Reply to
newshound

newshound scribbled

There's a stairlift forum stairlift-forum.co.uk/forum/main-category/main-forum/261-stannah-rail- removal

Reply to
Jonno

I believe that Stannah may make you an offer for the kit you have. Obviously, not much, but it would clear your staircase. I guess it depends whether you can see yourself needing it again in the foreseeable future. Do stairlifts require servicing and insurance, like proper lifts?

Reply to
GB

I have never done a Stannah, one but have done a minivator one. That did require you to manually wind it on or off of the top of the track.

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks, I didn't think to google for forums. Will have a proper look later.

Reply to
newshound

I thought I would at least leave the rail in place. I'm confident that any offer would be derisory.

Reply to
newshound

I will give that a go with this one. I think it might be a 229 (they don't seem to display the model number anywhere). I've managed to figure out how to remove the batteries, though, so I will see if there is any chance of getting some charge into them.

Reply to
newshound

Here is a video showing how to configure the electrics

The chair easily comes off ...

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Excellent!