Stannah stair lift removal

OK, I have already done this the hard way, just a few weeks ago to decorate the stairs. Then I disconnected the rail from the brackets and lifted the two rail sections (straight run up the stairs) over with the chair still attached leaving the lower brackets in place. It wasn't an easy job to lift it and move it across and refit due to the sheer weight of it, but I couldn't see an easy way to lift the chair off the track at the time.
Now I want to change the stair carpet and the lower part of the brackets are fixed to the stairs through the carpet, each bracket has four large screws into the wood.
This time, I am thinking - remove one of the two sections of track, and run the chair off the end of the track. My original assumption was that the chair could be dropped onto the track anywhere, then just have some sort of bottom retaining clamp fitted.
I have spoken to Stannah, who are not very helpful, quoting Elphin safety/ the world will stop spinning etc., they will remove for a fee and reinstall for a fee etc...
Anyone know for sure the process please?
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Have you looked on Youtube? I've not but it seems like the sort of thing someone somewhere will have documented? It tends to be my first port of call when starting something like this.

Utube, many more on there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrSeuwrgCjw

Need to remove a stannah chair from 600 model to get furniture moved. How can this be removed?
On Sun, 2 Sep 2018 05:17:20 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Lots of help here https://tinyurl.com/ybqp5t38
--

Chris

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

You can lift the seat from the main unit after removing the DIN connector, then run the main unit off the top of the rail by unscrewing the top stop block and winding it off the pinion rack.
Or if you've got sufficient room and manpower (two strong people lifting and perhaps another one guiding) simply unscrew the top and bottom mounting plates from the stairs and shift the whole thing as one.
On 02/09/2018 14:08, Andy Burns wrote:

Agreed, but hand winding is *very* slow especially if unit is stuck at the bottom. Make up a suitable adaptor to go in a cordless drill.

newshound wrote:

To the point that I can't really see how they can actually class it as a suitable emergency method of operation.
I didn't need any adapter, just grip it in the chuck of a battery drill, tighten well to ensure it doesn't slip and round the shaft.
On 15/12/2016 11:13, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I did a minivator one... that involved manually winding the chair off the end of the track.
--
Cheers,

John.
After serious thinking John Rumm wrote :

Yes, it is all pointing towards doing that - thanks, if I it does in fact have to be taken all the way out.
I have several times looked on Youtube for a video for the Stannah process for my model and found nothing yet.
However - The carpet guy has just been to look and what he is saying they usually are able to do is...
Wind the chair to the top, undo all but the top bracket, lift the track plus chair to do the bottom, then chair to bottom to release top bracket for the top carpet laying.
On Thu, 15 Dec 2016 11:13:05 GMT, Harry Bloomfield

There is no clamp. The chair is fitted from the top. To remove it run the chair up to the top under power. When it stops fit the manual winding thing provided (or better a socket and ratchet handle) and wind it off the top of the stairs. There may be a mechanical end stop or trim you have to remove at the top before it will come off.
On 15/12/16 16:36, Peter Parry wrote:

If it helps, these "electricians" do a great job of chair removal...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBaCHull47I

--
Adrian C

replying to Peter Parry, Michael J wrote: There seems to be a long metal block which is up against the rubber wheels on the chair and the metal block is pushed tight against the wheels but the block which is held in place by large Allen Screws which a 10mm key fits but the screws will not budge, even though I have put a long tube onto the Allen key for leverage, help
On 12/15/2016 11:13 AM, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

In my case, Stannah on fancy custom curly rails on what was in effect a spiral staircase fitted in a rectangular space, the removal method was to run the chair off the top. The "hand wind" supplied is incredibly slow, and even making a matching tool for a cordless drill was very slow. I ended up powering it with a Li-ion car jump starter unit (the lead acids were completely dead, but I could not figure out how to remove them until I had actually removed the chair). Obviously, you have to remove the limit switch and mechanical stop, but that is fairly trivial.
Stannah 600, looking to remove the chair to be able to move furniture, how is this taken off without having to call an engineer?