Decomposition of sodium hypochlorite bleach as it dries out?

I've been looking around for information about the decomposition of bleach sprayed (from a "plant misting" bottle) on tiles & grout, in order to find out whether, after it dries, I still need to rinse it off before anyone uses the shower or bath & to avoid damaging clothes, washcloths, &c. (I'm a bit cautious with bleach after having ruined some favourite items of clothing while splashing it around on mildew.)

I've found a lot of chemical theory on the WWW about how sodium hypochlorite decomposes, but not much practical household information, although apparently it isn't as effective at removing blood from a crime scene as you might think [2].

Another SD forum thread [3] mostly seems to go along with the idea that bleach becomes harmless when it dries.

Any expertise here on this?

[1] e.g., [2] [3]
Reply to
Adam Funk

The solid will be left behind as dry residue which once wet again will be b leach, so it will need washing down with clean water.

Reply to
Simon Mason

Well not for long. What's left will in general be salt and sodium chlorate. A weedkiller and explosive.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

harry

Oxygen and sodium chloride (or potassium chloride).

Or:

It'll not bleach stuff, but it will leave a thin powdery white residue...

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

You wear clothes in the shower?

Though cut with salt to that extent it isn't much of one. But it will still damage and bleach some sensitive organic dyes even as chlorate.

I'd expect in the shower would be no problem since the diluting effect of that much water will wash it away pretty quickly.

TBH I'd be more worried about having bleach in a plant misting bottle - it isn't likely to do house plants or eyes any good at all. Bottles used for detergents and bleach cleaning combos have a twist lock on the nozzle so that they can't be accidentally used.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Yeah, wot e said.

Thick bleach and plastic-bristled something to brusch reduces aerosols that could end up in your lungs....

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

No, but I have splashed bleach on my trouser legs while applying it (with a paintbrush, TBH) to the tiles & grout. ...

OK, I'll stick to doing this on days when I'm working from home, & I'll rinse it before anyone else comes home.

I'm not firehosing it from a distance, but applying it very close to the grout with the nozzle set to a narrow spray. I also have it labelled clearly & keep it out of the way.

Reply to
Adam Funk