Stannah 420 beeper

I have recently installed a Stannah 420, after a battery charge problem was resolved the lift performs perfectly. My issue now is the annoying beep during operation, I appreciate the safety issues involved, but would still rather not have the beeps, or at least have the option to switch them off, has anyone any idea where the beeper is located within the mechanism or better still has anyone successfully silenced the annoying beeps?

Reply to
Yorktommy

Angle grind the beeper? :)

Reply to
FMurtz

My (limited) experience of similar lifts, is that beeping either means one of the limit switches is being activated, or it thinks it's at the top or bottom station yet isn't charging ... does yours have a 7 segment display of error codes?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Likely it is still complaining of an issue with the battery or its voltage under load - same as last time the question was asked.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Didn't the OP wrote that he had a hinged rail that folded out? The chair is beeping to warn others that there is now a possible trip hazard? The instructions do indicate that there will be a beep when the hinge section is moving (or extended??)

Reply to
alan_m

Reading the OP, I think he understands that. He is irritated by the noise and wants to mute it.

Reply to
Bob Eager

This video indicates only beeping when hinge is moving

alan_m

I think it clearly states the lift is now working perfectly (so not an error beep), it sounds like he knows how to use it (so nothing left up / down) and that the beeping is a warning (to others), indicating the lift is in use (like a lorry / forklift reversing).

So, if you are living with others but they aren't deaf and blind, it's use would probably be obvious and so he probably wants (the option to) silence the beeper under normal circumstances (save waking others up if someone uses the lift in the middle of the night etc).

Assuming there isn't an option on the unit (jumper / PCB switch / software setting), the problem for the OP would be if the beeper was PCB mounted it might need some surgery to disconnect the beeper and add a option switch. If the beeper is 'remote' then it could be easy to add a small toggle switch in series to give the on / off option.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

He did, but I'm only familiar with my parents' straight one.

Reply to
Andy Burns

replying to T i m, Yorktommy wrote: Thanks for all your inputs. Tim has hit the nail on the head. Everything works as it should. I just need to silence the beep and would do if I could find out exactly where it is without a major unnecessary strip down to find it is easily accessible in an obscure niche. Regards Tom

Reply to
Yorktommy

Maybe a faulty tilt switch in the hinged section?

Reply to
Andy Burns

The only other question / thought, if the thing shouldn't normally beep in use ... is if it's not picking up charging power when in motion and that's why it's beeping?

I think there could be some sort of sliding contact / busbar that provides power (and so charge?) to the chair so does the beeping only happen when the chair is under load / moving? If yes and without knowing if it's supposed to do that, it's difficult to prove if that's why it's doing so.

The problem with those beer / sounders is that it's often difficult to hear where the sound is actually coming from, especially if it's not presented externally and is behind some covers etc.

A neighbour has a stairlift so I'll have a play with that and see if it does as yours does.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

But it has top and bottom switches, so doesn't expect to be charged when it's away from the top or bottom position (sometimes the wedges on the track the switches register onto need re-positioning if the roller guides are worn)

I think Tommy's issue will be there's only one beeper for warnings and errors, so there's a risk to just cutting the wire, maybe make it quieter by pushing a bit of blu-tack in the hole?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Is that the case for all makes / models Andy or just Stannah 420? I ask because I believe our neighbours lift can be 'parked' anywhere between top and bottom and would still charge? (It's one with an auto flip up lower section so it's *never* left *at* the bottom but near it), but is left at the top overnight (so it could (only) charge when at the top etc as the batteries would carry it in between).

Ok.

Assuming it's on wires, not soldered directly to a PCB (ignoring the warning function etc)?

Again, once he's found it I'm sure all those sorts of things could be considered. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Dunno, applies to some Acorn/Brooks/Stannah (of a certain age) are all very similar, I've looked at various manuals and PCBs.

Maybe the hinged ones have the wedges to activate the "you should charge" switches at the top and just above the hinge location? Parents' one only has power rails at top and bottom, rather than the full length.

Reply to
Andy Burns

One possible way to tell ... park it midway between the top and hinged positions, then unplug the wall-wart, if it starts rapid beeps it would have been charging in that position ... If it works the same way.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Andy Burns explained :

They charge constantly, irrespective of location on the rail, they use a busbar system.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Then it sounds like some charge regardless of the position, others only charge in known positions.

On my parents model the charging rails only exist at the top and bottom, with corresponding wedges to operate switches which let the car know if it's in one of those positions, and ought to charge, it beeps if it the switch is operating, but it is not charging.

Reply to
Andy Burns