Install inline heater in Kohler whirlpool tub

I have a Kohler whirlpool jet tub. I like to add an inline heater to the pl umbing so that the water temperature is maintained. Does anyone have experi ence with installing such an inline heater to an existing whirlpool jet tub ? There is a small access door at the end of the tub (opposite end of the f aucets) but I have never opened the access door to see how much of the plum bing is accessible.

Thanks

Reply to
dchou4u

plumbing so that the water temperature is maintained. Does anyone have expe rience with installing such an inline heater to an existing whirlpool jet t ub? There is a small access door at the end of the tub (opposite end of the faucets) but I have never opened the access door to see how much of the pl umbing is accessible.

On a slab, on the main floor with a basement or crawl space, on a second floor, runs currently on regular hot water, what????????????/

You have to provide some details!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
hrhofmann

plumbing so that the water temperature is maintained. Does anyone have experience with installing such an inline heater to an existing whirlpool jet tub? There is a small access door at the end of the tub (opposite end of the faucets) but I have never opened the access door to see how much of the plumbing is accessible.

When I purchased/installed our American Standard jet tub, one of the options was such an in-line heater. I installed it at the time of the original install however it was designed to be added at any time. The main pump line was already for it with a removable blank to be replaced by the screw in SS in-line heater. All I did was provide a separate GFCI 15amp circuit. Check out Kohler's literature and see if the same setup is available for your model.

I think I paid an additional $130 to $150 for the unit and it works well. Totally automatic operation and installation no more difficult than changing out a P-Trap and plugging in a lamp.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

d the access door to see how much of the plumbing is accessible.

You wait right there, someone from Usenet will be right over to open that door for you. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

ned the access door to see how much of the plumbing is accessible.

There are some serious issues involved, even if it is possible. He might want to start with how the heater is going to be powered? Usually a tub like that has a circuit for powering the pump. That's probably on a 15 amp breaker. A heater would have to be fairly substantial to be capable of heating a tub full of water. If the goal is just to maintain it, less power will be required, but I'd think it still would need something in the range of at least the typical electric kettle. And those are 1200-1500w range, meaning for this to work, he's probably going to need a second circuit. That alone may be a show stopper, depending on where it's located.

Then there are the various safety related issues, overtemp protection for the heater, etc. And given the tight spaces these things are in, etc, it definitely is not a trivial project.

Reply to
trader4

Did you ever accomplish this heater install? We want to do the same thing with an older an older Kohler whirlpool tub. Thanks!

Reply to
JoAnn Kulcyk