hot tub temperature

We're looking at getting a hot tub. Some of the ones I've look at have temperature ranges 80-100 degrees F. Is 100F hot enough (I thought they went to 102 or 104).

Reply to
Jud McCranie

You want a tub that will go to 104. What tub are you looking at that doesn't?

Reply to
Mys Terry

RTFM.

IIRC, federal health regulations put the limit at 104. The manual to the spa will state the temp range.

100 is a common setting. Above that can cause health problems with some individuals.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Hi, Has to be higher than our typical body temperature.

100F = 37.8C, I'd like to see it goes upto 40C at least.
Reply to
Tony Hwang

Grumman-581

I thought so.

This is one:

"control console" it says: "80F - 100 F temperature settings"

Reply to
Jud McCranie

40 degrees celsius is 104 degrees Fahrenheit. That is the safe limit for humans, and the limit set on most spas. But there is also a time limit for each temperature.

Google hot tub safety and learn. If you are going into a hot tub, or are setting the temperatures, know what you are doing. There is much more to it than hot water, and general idiotic statements.

A friend of mine had a heart attack and died after spending too much time in the hot water at Pah Tempe in Hurricane, Utah.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

You're looking at a spa from Walmart? Save your money and buy a good one, or a used one. The ones from Walmart don't last and don't have a lot of jets.

STeve

Reply to
Steve B

We've looked at several places, including four stores (haven't actually been to WalMart). I think theirs are by this company:

I'm still looking, but we do have limited funds.

Reply to
Jud McCranie

What about the ones at Home Depot? (We haven't been there yet either.)

Reply to
Jud McCranie

I bought two Catalina brand spas, both with two pumps, 8x8 for $2500 each used. Good used spas can be had. Just shop around, and research the brand names, and stick with the top manufacturers.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I don't like those either. I like the top manufacturers, and that then limits you to a used spa. Yes, it is attractive to get a nice shiny new one. But, what kind of parts and service department do WallyWorld and the Borg have? With brand name spas, you can always get parts. I have changed heating elements, blown fuses, pumps, and fixed hoses that have come undone. Never had to pay for a $80 per hour service man. BUT, I was able to go to the spa supplier and buy the parts.

It's hard to say which is the way to go for you. Just try to get the most/best for your money.

Hot tubs are great. I enjoy ours a lot.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I'm not familiar enough with what the top brands are. I saw a ThermaSpa advertisement last night and called for information, but I don't know if they are a top brand.

There are only three people in our family, so we don't need one big enough for seven. However, I want a lounge (most have them) and the ozonator thing. Some of the lower priced ones seem to have too small of a pump and heater. I read that you want 240V and at least 40 amps.

Reply to
Jud McCranie

Thermospa is an excellent brand. Even though you have 3 people to use the spa, I would recommend buying a bigger one. The operating costs are nearly the same. The big difference is comfort. Most smaller spas are not comfortable. You want one where you can really stretch out

Where do you live? Thermo Spas is in Central Connecticut, and they often have "scratch and dent " sales. They knock about 40%-60% off of brand new tubs due to minor cosmetic blemishes. And I do mean MINOR. They won't sell a Thermospas tub that has a functional defect, like a crack in the shell where it could leak. Mine has a tiny crack in the top coping near the champagne bucket. If no one points it out to you, you would never see it. That 1 inch crack saved me about $3500! They also sell off tubs that they have taken in trade. Some of those are older Thermospas, where people have traded up to a bigger model, and some are other brands.

Reply to
Mys Terry

Why don't you give the OP some names to look for? What manufacturers do you consider "top manufacturers"? I have heard negative things about ThermoSpa not honoring warranties (they advertise heavily on cable television). In my view, Beachcomber (which I have), Hot Springs, Marquis, Jacuzzi, and a couple of others qualify as good, reliable spas.

Reply to
KLS

I have a Thermospas tub, (for about 8 years now) and the company has never been anything other than helpful. Many of my friends have bought Thermospas after enjoying mine, and they all have had nothing but praise for the company. The reason Thermospas advertises more that most spa companies is because they sell factory direct. Beachcomber is well made, but their insulation setup is based on the old fashioned idea of filling the box with hardened, expanded foam. That makes repairs complicated and expensive. There are better ways of insulating now with more advanced materials, and keeping the mechanicals inside the insulated box is more energy efficient. Hot Springs is also an excellent brand. Jacuzzi just isn't what it used to be.

Bear in mind that other than the shell and cabinet, most spa parts are generic and come from elsewhere. Some companies select better quality parts off the shelf, and may have some generic parts cosmetically customized with their logo on them, but you really need to find out who made the parts to know what you are getting with any brand of tub.

Also find out if the pump motor rating is the "peak rating", which is kind of phony, or the real "continuous rating". If they just say it's a "3 HP" it is likely the peak rating which can only be achieved by running a 120 volt 2 HP motor at it's rated peak voltage of 180 volts! It's really a 2 HP motor. This is a very common advertising lie used by almost all spa companies.

Bigger pumps=better hot tub experience, especially when you start looking at tubs with more than a minimal number of jets. I have two "real" 3 hp pumps, plus a separate blower for the air jets. Walmart/Home depot type tubs typically have much smaller motors and far fewer jets. It's simply not the same experience as a fully powered and adequately jet equipped unit.

Reply to
Mys Terry

I have a Baja spa that came with the house. Since I'd never had a spa before, I hired a "hot tub guy" to come out and show me how to set it up and maintain it. It turned out he was the same guy who had installed it (good odds on that in a small town), and he said it was about 6 years old. It has two pumps and a blower, and will heat to about 108 degrees, but from experience I have found 100 is the most comfortable; however, the spa is inside, and I think I would want it a little warmer if I were using it outside, certainly if in an area where it gets really cold outside.

Anyway, I don't know much about "top brands" or anything since it was already here, but this one still works perfectly and looks brand-new; everyone was astonished to hear it was 6 years old. Either it's been very well cared for or very lightly used in the past (but boy howdy, it's been used steadily since I got here!) Of course, it helps that it's not exposed to the elements.

As far as comfort, I would definitely recommend buying larger than a

3-person spa for 3 people. Mine is a 6-person and while we could put 6 people in it, it's really most comfortable at about 4 people (I think spa size must be rated by the same people who rate camping tent size). As far as the jets, you don't want too few, but "more" isn't the only consideration, either. I would say that the location of the jets is as important than the sheer number. The lounge feature is definitely nice.

Good luck with your purchase! The one thing I can say for sure is you'll never be sorry you've got a spa!

Jo Ann

Reply to
jah213

I just realized that there is

(with an "a") and
(with an "o"). I'm not sure which one I contacted for info.

Good idea.

I would go for that, but I'm a long way from that, on coastal Georgia.

Reply to
Jud McCranie

That's probably the one I called for information (thermo as opposed to therma).

Reply to
Jud McCranie

I think after the "new" wears off we won't all be using it at the same time. But I see your point.

I've been in those, and I definitely want that.

I've been in enough of them to know I will like it.

We have been saving up some money. At first my daughter wanted an above ground pool. Then last fall I talked her into a hot tub. Now she and my wife want the pool, but I don't. We've been looking at both, but looks like we're going to have to get the pool. But we should have some money left in the account after buying a pool and that plus our tax refund will go most of the way toward a hot tub too.

Reply to
Jud McCranie