hot tub temperature

Which brings us back to where we started. Make damned sure the tub you get that bargain on is U/L listed and it is labelled. U/L listing is a fairly new and far from universal thing.

Reply to
gfretwell

Huh? Are you on CRACK?

UL Listing has been around since EIGHTEEN NINETY FOUR

Mys Terry

tubs for testing until inspectors started red tagging them and that is fairly recent. When this issue came up last year we were finding more than half of the tubs sold had no listing marks at all and some that did were field modified and voided that listing. I don't care anymore. Go on believing what you want to believe.

Reply to
gfretwell

"Mys Terry" wrote

Three strikes, and you're out.

Plonk

Reply to
Steve B

If ya can't stand the heat, stay outta the hot tub, Stevie.

Reply to
Mys Terry

I think I did (dry).

Reply to
Jud McCranie

Yes, I've been doing that too.

Reply to
Jud McCranie

Thank you everyone! Many more replies than I expected, with a lot of information. We're still looking and shopping.

Reply to
Jud McCranie

Hi, I was just wondering if you actually found a simple way to increase the heat, I would like 108, (then when it cools down it isn't so cold). Tried reading through the forum but it seemed to just get argumentative so I stopped reading.

Thank you.

Reply to
dandpconne

This is where big govt and fear of lawsuits gets you. SPAs in the USA are limited to 104F, even if you want to have yours at 108F and you have sense enough to use it properly. Seems there are some folks dumb enough to get drunk, stay in it for hours, etc. Another problem is those temp accuracies can probably drift, so while it thinks it's 104, it may be somewhat less too. If you measure it and it's not 104F, then you can call a spa store, etc and ask them what it takes to fix that. If it's an adjustment, then it should be a min service call. If it's not adjustable, then it's probably going to be expensive.

Whether you can change the max temp would seem to depend on the design of the actual spa. I would doubt the manufacturer would make it easy to do so. And it's probably going to be hard to find a schematic, etc to figure out if it's possible to do on your own.

Since you say that yours cools down, it sounds like you have a 120V model that does not heat once the pump is turned on high? Years ago I bought a 120V spa and when I was buying it, the shysters at the store never explained the problems with 120V, only the advantages. The problems are that it takes 4X as long to heat, which means if you only use it once in a while and keep it turned way down, it takes many hours to get to temp. And the second is that it no longer heats once the pump goes on high, ie when you're using it. If you have a

240V unit, then there is no reason it can't heat while being used and easily maintain or increase the temperature.

If that's the main problem you have, you may be able to have it converted to 240V. Right after I bought it, that's what I did. The store swapped out the power pack/heater unit for a couple hundred bucks. Of course the other problem is that even if that's possible, you have to run 240V to it, which could be easy or hard, depending on where it's located. And it could be cheap or expensive, depending on if you can do the work yourself. But the difference is substantial, you get 4X the heating capability and can run the heater while the pump is on full too.

Reply to
trader4