Hot tub gfci problem...help!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a friend that has a cal hot tub, that has for the last 4 years randomly tripped the 50amp gfci breaker. the breaker,2 heating elements,heater relay have been changed, and I rewired it from the panel with 6 copper wire.the hot tub man has no idea and neither do i. it trips the breaker all the time...any ideas on what to do would be very much appreciated.yes the gfci is wired correctly...thanks

concept

Reply to
peter griffin

Or moisture is getting into someplace that's causing the leakage? Wet dust can do that pretty easily, actually. Don't forget inside the boxes, switches, etc.. Maybe water's leaking down between the tub & wall?

Just a couple htoughs

Pop

Reply to
Pop

Since it trips frequently, for testing purposes, I would try to seperate off the internal loads one at a time and temporarily insert a seperate GFCI in each load just for testing. On mine, I could easily split off the pump, power/pack/controller, air blower, all of which are

120V loads and can be temporarily wired to a std GFCI. If you know what you're doing and are comfortable working with elec, this isn't hard to do. Then you can isolate which load is causing the fault. While doing the testing of course, I wouldn't use the spa, nor would I use it till I figured out what was wrong. I'd start with those, since you've replaced the heater, it's unlikely that's the fault.
Reply to
trader4

What brand of GFI is giving you the problem. My electrician told me that one brand, the name escapes me now, was having nuisance trips in hot tub applications. We just had a hot tub installed.

If you post the brand I'll confirm with the guy if that is the problem type.

Reply to
Bishoop

Reply to
Treetops

GFI's can wear out. I believe you can get testers for them or you may try replacing it (I know $$$) but it is a safety concern you know.

Reply to
borgunit

I'm pretty sure he said he replaced it already.

Doug Miller