Hot Tub Pump Motor Quits after 2 minutes

Greeting! The pump motor for my hot tub will run for about a minute or two before stopping, it will then start again about four to six minutes later. Anybody have any ideas?

I have installed this all myself. I have moved this hot tub a couple times and have been able to get it to work after a few moves but the last one has stumped me.

Since it stopped working I have:

- Replace the Control/Heater unit with a Hydro-Quip (Corona, CA) model HT-600T.

- Replace the motor with a dual speed Hayward

- Replumbed all the plumbing in the heater/pump area of the tub

- Checked the wiring to the tub. It is a 220 service and appears to be okay.

- Ran a little snack up the tub tubing to make sure it isn't blocked

I have not replaced the pump mechanism (the propeller the motor turns and its casing).

I'm at wits end. Currently my only guesses are:

- Could the pump be binding up causing the pump to overheat and shut off? I discounted this before because I took the motor and pump into a Hot Tub shop and they checked it out and said it was okay (but maybe they just checked the motor?).

- Have I wired the pump incorrectly (which color wire goes to LOW and which to HIGH?)? BTW, although I have tried to figure out the control to see if I'm not doing it correctly but I am unable to change the pump from Low to High speed.

- Could I have an air pocket in the pump? This doesn't make sense because it pumps well for a minute or so.

- Could there be a blockage in the pipe that feeds the pump? Would that cause this behavior?

Thanks for your help.

BTW, How much should I expect a house call from a Hot Tub shop to cost?

Reply to
TRowe

some ideas: is it a dual voltage pump ie wired for 220 but your using 110. How is the ac supply to the tub 14 guage wire on a long run from the service panel to the tub may cause a problem. Try running it with out the heater connected. to reduce the load at the tub. Restrictions in inlet and outlet plumbing. hair or wraped on the pump impelleror shaft. Regards Gary

Storage Sheds for the NY tri state area

Reply to
Gary

Sounds like the motor is internally protected and is overheating (for whatever reason) and cutting out on that protector which eventually resets once it has a chance to cool then starts up again.

The motor bearings might be 'tight' from wear or leaks, there could be something in the pump putting strain on it, it could be undersized, there may be a restriction in one (or more) of the hoses connected to it or it *may* need some air space around it to allow an internal cooling fan to cool it during operation. For the latter, check the installation instructions.

JMO

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

Mine was doing that. Turns out I had the air inlet turned off! I had never used a hot tub before and I didn't know what the thing did. Soon as I opened it up so it could suck in air it worked fine.

mort

Reply to
Mort Guffman

That sounds odd - should work either way. Also, the air inlet really drives up the heating bill!

gerry

Reply to
gerry