Questions about finishing a room in the downstairs...

I know this sounds funny, but I was just measuring for framing, for a room downstairs....I noticed the builders used 1 1/2" by 3 1/2" for the frames is this the standard 2 x 4? Or is this the correct measurement? I need to know as I will be adding a few feet of frame to the existing frame as it is.

Second question....Is it ok to pack insulation around the brass pipes that circulate my hot water to the baseboard heaters? Will need to do this if ok before slapping up drywall on the ceiling. Thanks

Reply to
Jason

Yes. They start off 2X4 before they are dried and then final sized.

That's fine. It would be better to cut the insulation so it fits around the pipes. Compressing insulation reduces it's insulation properties.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Jason, Boards are known by their Nominal Dimensions. The Actual Dimensions have been reduced a couple of times in my memory. What you have is a typeical 2x4 stud wall.

Insulating around your pipes is o.k.

TB

Reply to
Tom Baker

If it's ok to insulate around hot what about cold with condensation and mold growing? Showerbeatle

Reply to
P.DINDORF

The insulation, as it relates to the pipes, is not likely to help or hurt any possible mold problems.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan