Lasco "Hot Shot" whirlpool heater

I am looking into buying a Lasco Valencia 1.5 66" whirlpool tub. There is an option to add a "Hot Shot" unit to maintain the water temperature. Problem is, the Lasco customer service people and the technical support people don't know how this unit works, don't have any literature on the unit and have no feedback from any users. (The tech support supervisor won't respond to my email or telephone calls to help clarify). The first level people say it is not an inline heater and works by keeping the water warm by friction. I can't figure out how friction itself can heat water, and neither can the Lasco people. I am reluctant to proceed with the purchase as the whirlpool cannot be enhanced with an inline heater at a later time, and I have no evidence that the Hotshot will work.

Anyone have any knowledge about the HotShot, or the reliability of Lasco tubs?

Howard

Reply to
Howdego

now there is a rocket scientist..... humor applied Typically they are a 30 amp 240v inline electric heater max. They might be

30 amp 120v or 20 amp 120v, still an inline heater. Basically an insta-hot on steroids ( instant hot water for coffee). It sort of depends on how long you plan to spend in the tub. under 15 minutes I would consider using hot water from the tap/ larger hot water heater, longer, then you will need a auxiliary heater. IMO
Reply to
SQLit

With a great support team like that, I would run as fast as my little legs would carry me. Thlis is a nightmare waiting for a place to happen. Don't let it be your place. Des

Reply to
Des Perado

Sounds like a company full of IDIOTS. A "friction water heater" bwahahah! What's going to happen if you need warranty work done?

A few weeks ago I installed an American Standard Williamsburg Elite whirlpool in my main bath. I bought it from Home Depot and so far I'm quite happy with it. It has 8 jets...6 standard adjustable jets and 2 high power adjustable jets up front. There are several other styles of jets available and can be swapped out in minutes. The 1.6 HP motor is quiet. There's also an optional EZ-install Heater kit available and Home Depot keeps them in stock for $200. All you do is remove the front apron and there's a place right up in front for it...maybe a 5 minute installation. The whirlpool also has an in home service life time warranty.

Eventhough I ran an additional circuit for the heater, I doubt I'll ever buy it. It's a 55 gallon tub and my 40 gallon hot water heater has no problem filling it with very HOT water. I added R13 fiberglass between all the wall studs and used low expanding foam under it instead of grout. The water stays hot for well over an hour.

I'm impressed with the overall quality of the tub, the warranty and the very reasonable price tag.

George

Reply to
vairxpert