power vent hot water heater/ eliminating the chimney

I have a high efficiency furnace. When it was installed they capped the old pipe to the chimney.

I will be needing a new hot water heater and roof in the near future.

My thought is to use a power vent ( high efficiency) hot water heater and then eliminating the chimney. I would cut off the flue in the attic and have the roofers eliminate the chimney.

I looked on-line for a power vent hot water heater and the only ones I saw was a Sears. I stopped at the local Sears and asked about it and they said it is in the literature but they don't know anything about it. They would charge me $35 to come out to look at it before they would give me an estimate. At the very least, the heater cost at least twice as much as a standard unit.

Does my idea make sense? Is there another source for power vent hot water heaters?

Thanks

Reply to
House Maven

Any plumbing store can order it for you. Be aware they are noisy.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

You can also use a Field control power vent unit, but they do make noise:

RBM

Yes, this makes good sense. As noted, a supply house can order one for you or suggest an installer.

Depending on where you live, you *may* need a permit. And an inspection.

The installation must conform to regulations specifying where the vent terminal can be outside. Probably why the Sears guy wanted to do a "look-see" first.

There is some whining noise from the blower. If the exit will be in a part of the house where the noise could be annoying (like a bedroom) a timer on the heater could help by turning it off at night.

You might GOOGLE: "Power Vent Water Heater" for some good study sources.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Reply to
buffalobill

Many companies make the power vent models... Higher efficency cost more.

If your chimney goes thru the roof and is otherwise unused you can have it removed and the roof patched, less flashing and chance of leaks. aound here some remove interior chimneys for more room in home........

my next tank will be a power vent

Reply to
hallerb

I went power vent with my Heil furnace and my water heater. I plan on removong the chimney at roof level when I have the roof done in about 5 years. My opinion is the furnace and the water heater were well worth the extra cost. I used a chimney balloon to plug my unused chimney untill i have it whacked off when roofed.

Reply to
German Jerry