Subject Author Posted Replies

Looking for rock-wool (or similar) with a 'skin'
I'm looking for some rock-wool or similar insulation that has a 'skin' on one side. I want to use it to cover a very rough bit of wall behind a cupboard so that the back of the cupboard looks...
18
18

Anyone on here competent enough to make a thermoscope?
Apparently Pictet and Count Rumford made some pre discovery of polarity discovery of polarisation in the 18th and 19th centuries. Largely ignored to date, the whole of seems to be in denial:...
6
6

Dish washer door adjustment ?
Or maybe the door switch needs adjusting.
6
6

Cheap R80 Reflector to Poundland Golf Ball SES LED conversion.
One for those that last decorated in the 70s/80s when halogens weren't the rage. I've got a few incandescent R80 ES style eyeball light fittings in the ceiling and fitting replacement CFL and LED...
16
16

China building two wind turbines every hour.
Insignificant.
3
3

Dishwasher rinse aid oddity
Having a few spare moments today, I decided to have a nose at our (Hoptpoint SDD910) dishwasher rinse aid light. INitially it was stuck on. a few months ago (I posted then to general "don't bother...
1
1

Washing machine failure modes
Our Bosch had been complaining about low water pressure, was stopping at random, and had taken it into its head to heat the rinse water. The Bosch man came out and showed that although we had plenty...
2
2

dishwasher rinse-aid dispenser problem
We have a double drawer Fisher Paykel dishwasher and one of them seems to have a problem with the rinse aid. In the top washer, you can see rinse aid in the dispenser, in the bottom drawer though the...
2
2

Radfan Classic
run on IIRC 6v. What it achieves, by increasing the airflow over the rad, i s to extract more heat from it. Useful if that's what you need, and you don 't want to replace with a bigger rad for some...
17
17

Washing machine - at last?
Open source doesn't mean stability of design. Open source often means the design will evolve and the machine will morph into something better/cheaper/different and something 5 years old will no longer...
17
17

Tumble Dryer Fires
It comes from the stored energy in the cloth fibres. As if you were burning it.
21
21

DeWalt 18 V battery
I have a pretty useful DeWalt XRP hamnmer drill/driver The batteries are NiCad and now holding very little charge. Charged them fully on a professional NiCad charger - no difference. As the DeWalt...
6
6

The National Homebuilding & Renovating Show
I've been to this once or twice and rather enjoyed it, and now I have a free ticket for this weekend's three-day show at the Excel in London. Previously I've always gone on the Friday, thinking it...

Acrylic Frame Sealant vs Acrylic Caulk
What is the difference (if any) in use between acrylic frame sealant and acrylic caulk (both for external use)? I want to tidy up cracks around a wooden window frame which moves a bit with the seasons...
3
3

Changing a light bulb - how hard can it be?
One of the two ceiling downlights has flickered and died. I was in Lidl yesterday so, assuming GU10, picked up two LED on special offer. Just tried to get at the light and discover it is a JC94199...
17
17