Looking for rock-wool (or similar) with a 'skin'

I'm looking for some rock-wool or similar insulation that has a 'skin' on one side. I want to use it to cover a very rough bit of wall behind a cupboard so that the back of the cupboard looks reasonably civilized.

The insulation characteristics don't have to be wonderful but would be handy, it probably wants to be 2" thick or so (1" might be enough).

I've looked in a few places but cant see anything much like this but I'm sure I've come across it in the past.

Does anyone have any ideas/pointers please.

(... and yes, I *could* put a back on the cupboard but it's very inaccessible and the above approach of sticking something to the wall will be easier).

Reply to
Chris Green

Well don't go for rockwool.

You want a plasterboard faced celotex or kingspan. Dot and dab it on

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

How about either celotex (foil faced) or celotex+plasterboard prebonded composite? (Kingspan make a version of the latter)

Reply to
Tim Watts

There are insulated plaster faced boards and stiff PIR boards, but I guess you don't want that, but something drapable. The only such things I can thi nk of are bubblewrap type insulation and HW cylinder jackets. Neither will insulate at all well if air can simply go behind it.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Doesn't say that. merely to make a rough bit of wall smooth.

One assumes its an external wall in which case celotex and PB skin is a great way to insulate it and make a fair surface .

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If it is something drapable then how about an actual sheepskin with fleece still attached, you can buy them cleaned and also dyed often intended to be used as a rug.

But I doubt he meant skin to be taken that literally.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

OP doesn't clearly state what he wants, we can only guess

Not if its inaccessible, as the OP suggested. Obviously we don't know what's best until OP actually delivers some clarity. Arguing guesses is a bit pointless.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

It needs to be flexible and 'spongy' as there are loads of lumps etc. in the wall *and* it's not flat (slightly curved).

Reply to
Chris Green

Yes, you have the idea, it needs to be reasonably 'floppy'. I'm not too worried about the insulation properties, it's basically just a way to cover the surface in a reasonably civilised way.

Reply to
Chris Green

It's not really a wall, it's actually the inside of a boat's steel hull. It's curved, and has a disastrous collection of blobs of melted polystyrene and partly stripped off veneer on it. I *really* don't want to try and strip it completely, this particular section is very inaccessible, so I want to cover it with something that will absorb the knobbles a bit.

(The mess is the result of a minor conflagration caused by welding on the other side, quickly put out because I was there watching for exactly this sort of problem, but has made a mess of a small area)

Reply to
Chris Green

Yes, I should have explained better, see further information I have added to the thread.

Reply to
Chris Green

Well that *could* almost do what I want actually! However something more fire resistant would be better.

Reply to
Chris Green

A curtain would do that. Preferably with thermal lining.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Well you mentioning it is a boat reminded of Boiler and pipe lagging on one I was involved with. There are many types of pad available some with foil finishes others with other materials, Normally used to insulate around awkward bits that may need access such as pipe flange or valve. Need to look at a website like Armaflex have, they do much more than just plain pipe lagging.

A poor mans version and much easier to obtain would be one of those jackets used to insulate a copper water cylinder that was installed before they were supplied with foam already attached.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Drop some expanding foam liquid behind a thin plywood panel. Read about canoes first!

Reply to
Capitol

Is that the one where the garage filled with foam! :-)

However access for squirting foam behind might be difficult and what happens the next time some welding is done on the outside? That's why I expressed a preference for wire wool or similar, it would be OK when welded next to.

Reply to
Chris Green

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

well if you go for a reasonably thin but - say 30mm or less you can wahck it into shape.

Jost diot and dab the high spots and leave the hollows anyway.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

thin PB backed with celotex and injected with EP foam behind

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher