Fused Spur with Alexa or Similar

Folks, Was looking to "smart" my immersion but can't seem to find a fused spur unit with WiFi. Does any one make one? Dave

Reply to
David Wade

I have not seen a smart FSU but even if one existed it probably would be unsuitable as most immersions are rated at 15A and what FSUs exist only go up to 13A.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

You could replace your existing immersion switch with something like this and achieve what you want, but being of Chinese origin you might want to investigate its safe use.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

That's in the Tuya ecosystem, so I assume uses the Tuya SmartLife app / Alexa skill / etc. Some Tuya gear is an ESP8266 inside that can be reflashed with alternative firmware if you don't like Tuya, but no ideas about this particular one.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

how many kW is the immersion? that will only cope with 3kW

Reply to
Andy Burns

All the ones TLC sell are 3kW.

Reply to
charles

No, the standard domestic immersion is rated at 240v 3Kw, which is a touch less than 13amp. However a 13amp plug and socket is not really suited to long periods run at close to 13amps.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

I think most immersions are 3kW, but if not a contactor will boost the switching current.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

That's all I have seen and fitted

Reply to
ARW

ie 3kW immersions not plugs and fuses

Reply to
ARW

Why does it need to be a FCU?

Normal installation would be via a 20A DP switch

Reply to
ARW

Mine is 3Kw...

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

When it was installed 40 years ago it was on a 13amp plug. That was replaced with a fused spur unit sometime in the past.

I see that this does not conform to modern practice, if it ever was legitimate and it also needs a separate radial circuit.

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

Have a look at this Sonoff switch.

Even if you’re not interested in its power measuring capabilities I’m pretty sure it will do what you want.

I have an older version which, like it, is rated at 16 amps. I’ve been using mine nightly for many months with no issues and was recommended it by others who also use it for controlling immersion heaters.

Don’t be tempted by the smaller cheaper Shelly 1 switch. Very neat, and rated to 13 amps but there are plenty of reports of these switches not coping will with the load for any length of time at all. The Sonoff 16 amp switch seems much more bullet proof

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

?Smiths (Timeguard) seem to do one

Andrew

And this if you really do need a fused spur with wifi

Be warned though, I bought a Timeguard 7 day electronic timer back in

2010 and randomly, every couple of days it would lose all its settings.

Once I plugged it into an ex-BT-exchange surge protector extension socket the problem vanished and it never failed. I've never been able to work out what nasty signal was coming through the mains at random times make the timer have a hissy fit.

I hope their WiFi enabled products are resistant to ?mains-bourne interference.

Reply to
Andrew

Thanks folks for all the suggestions. Looks like I need to re-consider the way its fed first. Then plenty of options..

Dave

Reply to
David Wade