Plumbing size for 2 metre long galvanised farm water trough?

I'm not at home at the moment with zero tools and zero accurate measuring devices......

What is likely to be the pipe fitting in a 2 metre long galvanised farm water trough? The tank is brand new and not something that has been sitting in a field for 20/40 years. It has a hole for a fitting, currently with a blanking plug? The hole is too small for a 1/2 inch BSP tap. The hole is around 1/16 to 1/8 smaller than the OD the 1/2 tap tread. .

Reply to
alan_m

3/8 BSP ?
Reply to
SteveW

In message snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net>, alan_m snipped-for-privacy@admac.myzen.co.uk> writes

Isn't this likely to be sized for a conventional float valve with the supply piping linked to that?

Usually such tanks are supplied with a cover to prevent valve damage by livestock.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

This is the "supplied drain bung". I've been on line and various suppliers say they come with bung but no sizes given.

Edit: I found a measuring tape and best estimate is OD of bung thread =

17mm or 11/16ths so very probably 3/8 BPST @ 16.66 mm.

This is an open tank - no cover. This isn't going to be used for cattle but raised up and the intention is to fit a tap for draining down.

Reply to
alan_m

That normally would be 1/2" BSP though would it not?

Reply to
John Rumm

The ones I found on agri supplier sites said 10mm drain bung, but I assumed you'd be talking about the inlet for the ball-valve?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Most farmers would just tip the trough on its side with a front end loader or similar. Quicker than faffing with a drain plug (assuming an outside trough).

Piggies of course are expert at tipping troughs over anyway, so most of the time farmer brown is putting it back upright.

Reply to
Andrew