100w Light Bulbs.

and Nature, and the rest of the scientific community....

Reply to
clumsy bastard

science (your first claim) there is no support or substance in your view that it is "essentially run for political purposes".

The tenor of the register article is that, because it is *possible* to have growth without consuming more resources, the NS are stupid for saying the mantra of "more growth is better" for saying growth consumes resources. In the real world, the observation that economic growth consumes resources is clearly true an the register article is disingenuous.

If you wish to assert that the NS is too general and populist to be regarded as a serious scientific journal, that's fine!

Reply to
Bob Mannix

people just don't want to hear that population and material wealth cannot just go on growing, Its certainly problematic to halt either, given the way our economy works, but that doesn't mean we should bury our heads in the sand.

it seems to me a sensible source of science news for the average person, given the job ads scientists certainly read it.

Reply to
clumsy bastard

No, Nature is actually fairly exacting in it standards.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well I thought that is what i had asserted. Its populist, inaccurate, not peer reviewed, and politically biased.

In short its a tabloid with an agenda, that restricts itself to the 'science and technology' pages that in a normal tabloid are buried in the back.

Its target market are people who want to feel they understand science when they don't. And dislike it and mistrust it because they don't.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That's all most of them read it FOR.

Or just to keep vaguely up with whats happening elsewhere..every decent scientist I have come across has always said 'well they are OK on this other stuff, but they are wrong on *my* subject'

Ho hum.

I occasionally buy it, skim the interesting article, and if its sufficiently interesting go to the sources. They usually say something completely different.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

they don't seem to think climate change isn't happening.

Reply to
clumsy bastard

with a target market like that you wouldn't last a week, as for "tabloid" have you read a tabloid?

Reply to
clumsy bastard

Indeed. Nor do I .

New scientist is for wannabe scientists to be reinforced in their opinions. Thats what sells pulp fiction...;-)

the market for actual facts and well researched discussions, is very small.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not for a couple of years, no.

But I don't suppose you've ever read a quality broadsheet. I don't think there i one left. FT maybe, but very narrow in its focus.

New scientist=Guardian science pages.

Appeals to the chattering classes.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

oh dear.

I read the FT every day. The Times has certainly gone way downhill, I dropped it years ago. The Torygraph seems to just pander to its every older and more reactionary tory readers but I read my mother in laws, the Gruniad and Observer can have interesting ideas sometimes, although its a while since I bought either.

Reply to
clumsy bastard

Sadly, seem to be wandering the same route. Just have the FT at the w/e these days. Don't find the Times of much interest. I take the Torygraph each day as much for amusement as news. The Sunday edition is full of fun - provided you recognise it. Took the Gruniad for probably 2 decades by which I mean 15 to 20 years but now do not find much to inform me. Observer - well when did I last read that? Possibly when sailing with freinds within the last 2 years but cannot recall anything that attracts me these days.

Most of my source of news and reviews comes from the internet - a lot, I have to say from the BBC, but also from overseas sites.

Reply to
Clot

i limit myself to its non political content, the way they run with Camerons spin line of "Browns recession" - ummm, that started in the US and had its most drastic effect so far in Iceland - as an insult to the intelligence.

Reply to
clumsy bastard

Indeed. If ever there was a case of a worldwide recession, it's this. But I'd say the average floating voter will laugh at Cameron's rubbish. Which might come back to haunt him come the next election if things have improved by then.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

fear not, the messiah has come to cure all. Or so the US seem to think of Obama, I think expectations might be a little high!

Reply to
clumsy bastard

Asda again have 100W pearl BC bulbs on sale at £1·50 for six. It's good to see that not all retailers are behaving like sheep... :-)

Not that I frequent Asda all that much, but their 24 hr opening is handy for late-night vodka.

I'm still adding to my stockpile (bulbs, not vodka!).

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I appreciate the comment though I have been a convert for many years. Early

80s when a weighty Philips was the cost of a Vottle of Bodka today!

Wanders away muttering Bah, bah. :)

Reply to
Clot