100w Light Bulbs.

I have no problem with throwing away a 20p light bulb early.
I do have a problem with throwing away a GBP 6.49 (which is what the higher rated ones in Wicks were costing today) light bulb early
tim

Keep an eye out for better offers. The 25W Costco ones worked out at 1.25 ea IIRC (until they ran out). I don't pay anything like 6 for regular ones, and if other people don't either, the regular price will come down.
I buy loads of CFLs for various offices, homes. The number of early failures I've had is completely insignificant. I can think of only 3. One IKEA one I bought over 8 years ago (but the other ones I bought at the same time still work, way past any expected lifetime), and a couple of Prolite ones I bought from CPC, which were probably just crap. On the whole, I do avoid the no-name and unheard-of brands though.
--
Andrew Gabriel
On 07 Jan 2009 19:28:49 GMT, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I haven't actualy bought many CFLs at all, probably not more than a dozen ever. Power companies keep sending offers for free ones with the lecky bill... I've got about a dozen of these "freebies" in the cupboard ATM.
--
Cheers
Dave.

I have had so many free ones I give them away. Didn't have a very small one though so I had to buy a 7w one. 8-(

Cobblers. A 25W if you're lucky, and within a year two of them.

Which won't fit in the same fitting.
--
"Please try to understand, the one you call Messiah is a lie."
[email me at huge huge (dot) org <dot> uk]
On 6 Jan, 11:03, snipped-for-privacy@totalise.co.uk wrote:

One thing which hacks me off is that they are STILL selling dimmers and PIR switches that can only be used with tungsten bulbs ...

What a bunch of nonsense; this mandatory use of CFLs (compact fluorescent or non incandescent bulbs) is, at least it is here. the only rational use is maybe in outside lamp fixtures where 'wasted' heat is dissipated to outdoors. But some CFLs for example do not work well in low temps.
One poster to a group such as this remarked that "The few nanoseconds that photons spend as light before that radiation strikes something within the home and it becomes warmer, is inconsequential".
One could in fact heat a home with light bulbs. Warming an outside dog kennel/shelter or preventing a car engine from freezing by means of a light bulb a not uncommon practice! Have also seen regular bulbs and sometimes incandescent heat lamps used to keep new born chicks warm and alive.
Here we use electric heating during most of 10 months per year; especially at night when lights tend to be on. So it doesn't matter if the heat comes from say an electric heater or bunch of light bulbs.
There is even a type of heater advertised which comprises several heat lamps in a fancy enclosure. It employs four 150 watt incandescent bulbs, 600 watts which is approx. 2000 BTUs.
Yesterday needed to heat up the garage; the wall mounted 3000 watt heater was a bit slow so added some heat heat by plugging in two 500 watt halogen lamps thus adding 1000 watts (another 3400 BTUs.)
Almost 100% of homes here (certainly all new construction, except for a few that have heat pumps with electric heat as backup for low temperatures) use hydro generated electric heating. Also many older (30 to 50 years) homes originally equipped with oil fired furnaces have replaced them with electric furnaces. No gas here except delivered propane, which is expensive.
The use of expensive and in many case not yet proven reliability CFLs seems, so far to be one of those do-gooder projects by politicians who do not understand basic physics, but want to be seen as 'doing something'!
If it ever starts to happen here, will lay in a stock of say 200 bulbs in the 40, 60 and 100 watt common sizes. They presently cost 88 cents plus 13 cents sales tax for a pack of four bulbs. Approx 25 cents Can. or around say 15p, per bulb.
Have one CFL on the desk here that failed; took it apart out of curiosity and found badly or unsoldered connections of a capacitor on the small component board in the base. Previously the base had come apart because the glue failed! Before that using tape to hold it together not recommended cos it then sagged!
CFLs: Piffle and balderdash! Signed: Marley Scrooge!

When I worked for a weighbridge company, an enclosure which housed a small ticket printer for unmanned weighing used to have a 60W light bulb inside to prevent dampness from causing the paper to stick .....
terry wrote:

Just FYI BTUs are not in common use in the UK any more.
Andy

so halogen also no go with 25 year old dimmers?
--
all thumbs

AFAIAA - yes :-(
Jethro wrote:

It might be that the dimmers would not be happy with halogen lamps. But it's nothing to do with their tungsten-ness (or otherwise). Both ordinary incandescent and halogen incandescent lamps use tungsten filaments.
The lamps that cause greatest annoyance are the touch sensitive dimmer ones - that have become so common and yet are CFL-incompatible (so far as I can tell).
--
Rod

They are :-( . Which is why I get so annoyed with the likes of B&Q selling them. Actually it's not so much that - if the proles want to buy a lamp which will be out of bulbs in a weeks time, let them. It's more the fact that's *all* they sell ... so no chance to get a dimmable CFL lamp.
Rod wrote:

There are some CFLs (quite expensive) that are dimmable by conventional dimmer switches. However they tend to dim at a fixed colour temperature which is quite unlike a dimmed tungsten lamp.
--
Cheers,

John.

do you think that will cover my custom made 20+ year old dimmer switches? Or have dimmers changed in the recent past?
--
all thumbs

clumsy bastard wrote:

I think the electronics of dimmer switches have changed since 20 years ago. I don't know the details, just something I vaguely remember reading somewhere.
--
David in Normandy. snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.fr
David in Normandy wrote:

they haven't'. Bit more suppression in them but still the same resistors capacitor and triac..

I will have to find one of those fancy bulbs then.
--
all thumbs

I thought triacs were outlawed because of power factor? I.E. non sinusoidal currents. Or do those regulations only apply to larger ones for PCs and the like?
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Are the 50 year old ones with resistance wire in mercury okay?
Owain