100w Light Bulbs.

All _I_ want is warmer winters and hotter summers until I pop my clogs... You can't even get this from the present guvmint, despite all their promises/threats. And I've paid dearly for it in taxes.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Indeed, the glaciers are not melting because its getting colder. Climate change includes added turbulence, more extreme or odd weather events. This can include cold snaps. But some people, while happy to accept almost everything else official science tells them, suddenly start arguing over climate change. Why? Because it's an "inconvenient truth".

Reply to
clumsy bastard

I know you don't claim otherwise, but sadly the prediction is more rain in winter :-( I haven't seen much snow in the Lake District in the last 10 years compared to the previous 10.

Reply to
clumsy bastard

Blimey, never heard of those! ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

China pumping out more smog basically.

Global warming really kicked in when we stopped industrial pollution in the west.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Its a bit of a bugger that the models that predict GW didn't predict the facts. It leaves anyone who understands models wondering what they are actually modeling. However those that don't understand models will still believe what they read in the Sun.

Reply to
dennis

The biggest problem is the people that think the weather pattern has changed significantly. In reality the weather patterns have changed very little. The so called freak events have been happening for centuries and there is little evidence to suggest anything has changed other than the population density. If there was a big flood 200 years ago it affected a few people, now it affects many and gets reported a lot. It is not proof of climate change!

Reply to
dennis

I've often wondered about the need for these extravagant claims? One only has to look at dribble's posts here to know how much they put people off - and often provide a reaction in terms of action quite the reverse to that intended. So perhaps understandable from an advertiser although not condoned but why apparently reinforced by government? If they'd said saving of approx 50% in energy use everyone would have been satisfied.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

i hear meerologists saying these things are up, they are pros, why should I disbelieve it.

Reply to
clumsy bastard

Plus all the other ludicrous claims.

Reply to
Huge

Depends - one app. where I do use them is outside - and found the life pretty well as claimed. As regards quality of light, it is to some extent down to taste. Ie, those who like them have poor taste.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I quite like them. Or at least, I certainly find them wholly unobjectionable.

A matter of taste is, say, liking Miró and disliking Schiele, and poor taste might be preferring Jack Vettriano over either of them. But liking a certain kind of light-bulb seems to be more like a matter of preferring blue over green, or not liking the feel of wool, or else a matter of usefulness, but not taste.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

Yes, I have a couple that are doing well outide. Lter units after te originals popped. They casyt a sickly sort of light, but its good enough. Two more are just plain crap, and take 15 minutes to warm up, so are useless unless left on all; the time. Which rather misses the point. One doesn't even come on at all for 10 minutes.

I don't think they are that bad..the later one have a fairly low color temperature which isn't unpleasant. I wouldn't say that a spectrum comprised of various LINES will ever match black body, but there you go. they are good enough.

My beef isn't that they are not good things, or that in *some* cases they serve well and are cost effective. My beef is that this isn't enough for the government: we are being forced to use them. And the one bulb they can't duplicate - the 100W - is the one that is being attacked!

And the green argument is to save a little of a little, which is actually a very very little.

And diverts attention from the real abuseses of carbon fuel.

One more nuclear power station would save all the carbon saved by all the possible CFLs in the whole country that could ever bee installed, for example.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Interesting. The one premature failure I've had was outside.

I've found (and it's one of the reasons I don't like them) that they are very variable. I put a 25W one from Screwfix at the head of the stairs (inside a very large spherical opal glass fitting) and in all honesty you wouldn't know it wasn't a GLS bulb. I was so pleased with that one, that I bought another (same brand) to use in our guest bathroom, and it's horrid. Dim green thing. Yuck. I'd reuse it outside, except it won't fit in the luminaire. All of the Sylvania ones I've bought are vile - dim, slow to start and badly coloured, yet the Philips ones I have in my desk and bedside lamps are fine.

It's *definitely* the case that you need to allow at least 4:1, and nearer 3:1 on wattages - the manufacturers did themselves no favours there.

Is it the case, as the press are quoting, that *all* filament bulbs will be banned by 2012? Because if so, once the fuss has died down I shall be stocking up with things like the 60W ES bulbs in the row of motion sensitive lights down my drive. No way will a CFL work in those, even if it fits, and I'm buggered if I'm replacing 8 fittings.

Reply to
Huge

All the big sheds? I was half under the impression it was only Tesco and= B&Q that had voluntarily with drawn the 100W bulb. I also noticed today =

that 100W ones in Tesco had a yellow shelf ticket normally meaning a pri= ce reduction. But you really do have to watch those "offers" Tesco or maker= s. Last week was Hobnobs 300g 85p/packet. The "bumper value pack (2 x 300g =

packets) was =A31.85. Eh?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I guess that's a bit better than a bucket of salt water and a rod whinched up and down.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

All the big sheds? I was half under the impression it was only Tesco and B&Q that had voluntarily with drawn the 100W bulb. I also noticed today that 100W ones in Tesco had a yellow shelf ticket normally meaning a price reduction. But you really do have to watch those "offers" Tesco or makers. Last week was Hobnobs 300g 85p/packet. The "bumper value pack (2 x 300g packets) was £1.85. Eh?

You may well be right, I thought it was an industry wide voluntary agreement.

I agree about offers. You also have to be careful when a pack says 33% extra as often the price per kg doesn't reflect the increased size.

What annoys me most is that items on offer are gone to leave an empty shelf, especially something I would have paid full price for.

Reply to
Fred

I haven't actualy bought many CFLs at all, probably not more than a dozen ever. Power companies keep sending offers for free ones with the lecky bill... I've got about a dozen of these "freebies" in the cupboard ATM.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I can't find a web reference so maybe my memory/understanding is faulty, but basically coiled resistance wire, raised/lowered into mercury to short the resistance wire out.

I can find salt water dimmers on the web but not mercury

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Stockpile for a bit, then ebay 'em. Make a fortune... ;)

Reply to
Jules