100w Light Bulbs.

It's probably nearer to 100W linear halogen in that application. The large size of the light source and self-shadowing of the tube severely impact the overall efficiency in reflector applications like this, so you're probably looking at a 3:1 ratio.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Bob Eager

order some on the net, but its a bit of a pain. I won't have chance to look around locally until Saturday. Somehow this 100W business escaped my attention. But I'll start stockpiling

60W bulbs, getting a few each time I go to the supermarket ! Simon.
Reply to
sm_jamieson

That's more like it.

I might even have been slightly more generous, and allowed a claim of 4:1. But 8.3:1 ?

(300/36)

Reply to
Bruce

Maybe, but I don't actually care. It does what I need it do do which is light up a very dark area outside my house.

The only thing I have to compare it with is my father in law who has some 250W halogen lights in the same (or what looks like the same) enclosure. This appears brighter, but I know that's hardly a scientific test, nor do I care. What I do know is that my unit runs at 35W, his

250W and it seems as light, if not more so to me.

But from my point of view - it's an outside light, PIR activated, timer, constant-on facility, very bright, puts less money in the pockets of the greedy power company shareholders. Job done :)

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Last time I was there, Makro had them in quantity - about £2 for 10 IIRC

Reply to
John Rumm

It's your call.

Reply to
Bruce

There already is.. 5ft tubes.

Reply to
dennis

Granted, for garage and workshop, I wouldn't want any inside my home though.

Reply to
David in Normandy

It aint that bad, OSRAM have started to do direct halogen replacements for GLS bulbs, Sainsburys sell them. They consist of a halogen capsule lamp inside a secondary bulb with a BC or ES cap. They take a little less power, 42W for the same output as a 60W.

James

Reply to
James Salisbury

In message , sm_jamieson writes

I saw some in Wilkinsons the other day, but don't know whether they are still replenishing stock when people buy them. They might not last long if other shops have stopped stocking them.

Reply to
Clive Page

A good few have moved to plasma sets too. Energy inefficient, questions about durability but cheap sticker prices.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

They aren't the same light output (and don't claim to be). Neither do they meet the proposed EU requirements on efficiency to survive the EU ban.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Yes it is, and I really don't understand what the fuss is about. I bought it for 2 reasons - one to light up an otherwise dark area, and it does that fantastically well, and 2 to put less money in the pockets of the greedy power company shareholders, which is also does fantastically well.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Because:

1) 20 W CFL does not replace a 100W 2) 20 W CFL's at a sensible price are hard to find. 3) CFL's have a very long "start up" time. If I want a bright bulb in a room the chances are that I want it to come on instantly! 4) CFL's fade over time. Aa 100W equivalent when new, is a 60W equivalent after 18 months

tim

Reply to
tim.....

GE from ASDA or Tesco.

Very cheap, £1.03 to £1.43.

Reply to
Bruce

Well, they use less energy to run than incandescents, so why not simply leave them on all the time?

Wear sunglasses in the house of ever-increasing transparency as time goes on, thus maintaining an apparent constant level of brightness.

(it's been that sort of day today ;-)

Reply to
Jules

But in the grand scheme of things surely you have to consider the bigger picture (TV - picture - ho ho) and include the manufacturing hit, particularly if replacing a set at a higher frequency than you would with a CRT?

Reply to
Jules

Why are power company shareholders greedy? (after all its probably you pension they will one day be paying)

Reply to
John Rumm

What a bunch of nonsense; this mandatory use of CFLs (compact fluorescent or non incandescent bulbs) is, at least it is here. the only rational use is maybe in outside lamp fixtures where 'wasted' heat is dissipated to outdoors. But some CFLs for example do not work well in low temps.

One poster to a group such as this remarked that "The few nanoseconds that photons spend as light before that radiation strikes something within the home and it becomes warmer, is inconsequential".

One could in fact heat a home with light bulbs. Warming an outside dog kennel/shelter or preventing a car engine from freezing by means of a light bulb a not uncommon practice! Have also seen regular bulbs and sometimes incandescent heat lamps used to keep new born chicks warm and alive.

Here we use electric heating during most of 10 months per year; especially at night when lights tend to be on. So it doesn't matter if the heat comes from say an electric heater or bunch of light bulbs.

There is even a type of heater advertised which comprises several heat lamps in a fancy enclosure. It employs four 150 watt incandescent bulbs, 600 watts which is approx. 2000 BTUs.

Yesterday needed to heat up the garage; the wall mounted 3000 watt heater was a bit slow so added some heat heat by plugging in two 500 watt halogen lamps thus adding 1000 watts (another 3400 BTUs.)

Almost 100% of homes here (certainly all new construction, except for a few that have heat pumps with electric heat as backup for low temperatures) use hydro generated electric heating. Also many older (30 to 50 years) homes originally equipped with oil fired furnaces have replaced them with electric furnaces. No gas here except delivered propane, which is expensive.

The use of expensive and in many case not yet proven reliability CFLs seems, so far to be one of those do-gooder projects by politicians who do not understand basic physics, but want to be seen as 'doing something'!

If it ever starts to happen here, will lay in a stock of say 200 bulbs in the 40, 60 and 100 watt common sizes. They presently cost 88 cents plus 13 cents sales tax for a pack of four bulbs. Approx 25 cents Can. or around say 15p, per bulb.

Have one CFL on the desk here that failed; took it apart out of curiosity and found badly or unsoldered connections of a capacitor on the small component board in the base. Previously the base had come apart because the glue failed! Before that using tape to hold it together not recommended cos it then sagged!

CFLs: Piffle and balderdash! Signed: Marley Scrooge!

Reply to
terry