The EU's bright idea to rename light bulbs

Light bulbs will no longer be labelled in watts under new EU rules.

It has decided to replace the energy measurement - named after the 18th century British inventor James Watt - with 'lumens', which identify how much light a bulb gives out.

Under the new labelling system, due to be introduced in September next year, a 60W light bulb will be renamed with its equivalent, 800Lm.

The EU claimed that the rules - which come as Europe phases out traditional light bulbs in favour of energy-saving ones - will enable consumers to make better-informed choices.

But critics of the decision claimed it would merely lead to widespread confusion.

They pointed out that many Britons remain unsure about energy-saving light bulbs because of the difficulties of disposing of them and health concerns.

Some consumers claim to have experienced skin problems, migraines and even epilepsy after using the bulbs.

Syed Kamall, the Tory MEP, said changing the labelling without sufficient education would add to the confusion. 'You just cannot drop this on the consumer without explaining it,' he added.

'It is a recipe for a complete mess and consumer confusion.'

But Jurgen Sturm, of the European Lamp Companies Federation, which represents companies such as Philips, said: 'Consumers have to be made aware that this is nothing to confuse them but this will actually help them to make the right choice.

'People will know
Reply to
reg

To be honest it makes some sense to me.

In the past, when we only had incandescent bulbs people got to associate the number of watts with the amount of light that a bulb will give out.

So for a given size room, they would have some idea of how many watts would be required to light it dimly, moderately or brightly.

Now with all the different lighting technologies 'Watts' don't work. People are confused as to what energy saving lamp they need to buy to be equivalent to a 100W bulb.

But I do feel the EU are misguided with the idea of phasing out incandescents. In my experience, Low Energy are simply not available in the range of shapes, sizes and fittings, nor to suit dimmers properly. I have tried my hardest to replace my incandescents with low energy but have had no luck finding small shaped bulbs with small bayonet or small screw fittings.

If\\when the ban comes into play, I will have to replace a large number of my light fittings and dimmer, throwing the old ones away. The immediate environmental impact both due to the disposal of the old ones and the manufacture of replacements will cancel out any potention environmental benefits for many years to come.

Cheers,

Nigel

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4102 (20090525) __________

Nigel Heather the-heathers.co.

On May 25, 9:35=A0pm, "Nigel Heather the-heathers.co.uk>" To be honest it makes some sense to me.

eople

ure database 4102 (20090525) __________

Yes this is a good idea. I bought some 100 watt bulbs in France last week, in Super U store, the boxes marked 100 Watts and 1340 lumens. I think, the new low-energy lamps are not quite as 'bright' as we are being told. My 60 watt equivalents are definitely lower light output, even after a warm-up time.

Reply to
cordery4

On May 25, 9:35=A0pm, "Nigel Heather the-heathers.co.uk>" To be honest it makes some sense to me.

eople

ure database 4102 (20090525) __________

Yes this is a good idea. I bought some 100 watt bulbs in France last week, in Super U store, the boxes marked 100 Watts and 1340 lumens. I think, the new low-energy lamps are not quite as 'bright' as we are being told. My 60 watt equivalents are definitely lower light output, even after a warm-up time.

Reply to
cordery4

Oh please when will we ever be rid of these moronic EC rulings?

Look, what does it matter if you call a bulb 60 watt or 800 lumens? Does anyone here actually know how much light 800 lumens is? No, well, I'll tell you...60 watt - now you know!

For Christ's sake aren't there more important things these idiots in Brussells could be doing? ...like filling out expense forms

Reply to
Ron O'Brien

But isn't an 11 watt low power equivalent lamp, giving out the same amount of light as the 60 watt lamp, also 800 lumens? If so, 800 lumens could be 11 watts, or 60 watts.

Reply to
Harry Stottle