Bright idea for the Handymen in here

that price it'd be well worth buying 2 !

Anyone got any idea:

How bright is it? And what's the battery life?

Reply to
Rod

Probably not that bright, eh?

Reply to
Bruce

It happens that Rod formulated :

For the same price, I picked up a (similar) re-chargeable one with car and mains chargers. It ran for a good many hours per charge (4xAA NiCad cells) and was eye hurting bright.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Actually ther're not that bad and battery life is good - in fact I've never had to recharge mine in 2 years + and don't even know where the charger is. But not at that price - I got mine form Lidl/Aldi sometime back for about half that price.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

I've got a B&Q one with 40 odd LEDS and its very bright indeed. LEDS only consume a fannyfull of power, so I guess ages.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Is it an angle grinder?

Reply to
Steve Walker

Given that making white light from R,G,B leds is cheaper, why are there none like this on the market?

NT

Reply to
NT

If you are a *true* DIYer...................Why haven't you already got one then? Hmmmmmmm????????????????

You end up looking at images with terrible shadowing, like chromatic aberration on steroids. If you go through a mixing diffuser, you lose some of the light, and you lose all the directional properties, and then realise just how dim LEDs are when the small amount of light they give off isn't concentrated into very narrow beams.

People have been trying to get this working for ages, because the raw coloured LEDs are both cheaper and in most cases more efficient (no Stokes losses).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

For a start you'd have problems finding superbright types that provide the actual primaries. Then you'd need a diffuser - unless they were very small indeed. And you'd likely end up with no better a result than the so called white available now.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You'd need it, the Rolson one is crap - dim LEDs. Lidl's (might have been Aldi) is much better.

OK, just a couple of years ago I'd have been raving about the brightness and whiteness of those LEDs, let alone the price - but Moore's Law is a harsh mistress.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I've got a 9'er, and a 4.5'er, and a little Dremel too..... :o)

For christmas I want a petrol Stihl saw, even though I have no conceivable project which needs it.

Reply to
Steve Walker

If you used just 3 LEDs, yes. If you use a matrix like the above light of 10s of LEDs, I don't think so.

actual primaries.

No shortage of them in the Rapid catalogue.

see above

The prices and specs in the catalogues don't agree, whether you use a diffuser or not.

NT

Reply to
NT

They're common in discos and TV studios as effects lights (lighting say a white back cloth, to any colour you like . And you can see aberrations if you get close to it. And they have many many LEDs.

The specs don't seem to tell the true story.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I bet that 9 footer and even the 4.5 footer is a bugger to control.

Reply to
Old Git

Prolly better to be ridden I reckon ;-)