Garage door spares - ridiculous prices in the UK - any way round this?

One of the wireless keypads for my (several) garage door openers has failed. These are Chamberlain (now Liftmaster I think) garage doors originally bought from Screwfix.
Replacement keypads cost a ridiculous amount in the UK, typically around £90, for example here is an exact replacement for mine:-
http://www.garagedoors-sw.com/store/remote-control-systems/garage-door-operator-accessori/433mhz-wireless-digital-keypad/showitemSPLIFT433KP.aspx
Near identical keypads (identical except for the operating frequency) cost only $25 - $30 in the USA. I've tried hard but I really can't find anyone offering them at reasonable prices in the UK. One web site I contacted was a 'trade' supplier where I had filled in details of my Ltd. company to ask for a price. They had actually gone to the time and trouble of looking up my company registration etc. to see if I was a business dealing in Garage Doors and as I didn't appear to be they wouldn't supply me.
This all smacks to me of restrictive practices and/or price fixing, is it worth reporting to trading standards?
Regardless of the above has anyone got any suggestions for a keypad to operate a garage door that won't cost an arm and a leg? It doesn't actually have to be wireless as the keypad is on the outside of the garage, all it needs to do is provide a momentary closure on entering the correct code. I have found one offered by an Ebay supplier which costs £40 which is not *too* unreasonable but still seems a little expensive.
I'm quite happy to DIY it a bit, e.g. buy some components and a box, as I was an elextronics engineer once upon a time and can still solder OK and build electronicky things.
--
Chris Green

http://www.garagedoors-sw.com/store/remote-control-systems/garage-door-operator-accessori/433mhz-wireless-digital-keypad/showitemSPLIFT433KP.aspx
Although I've not actually tried how about trying to modify a wireless doorbell e.g the friedland evo http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/VED402.html it shouldn't be too difficult to change the 'ding dong' into a pulse using a small relay - at less than 20 worth a try.
I have modded the bell push so that it works with a door entry system in a block of flats - customer very pleased mobile bell at a third of the price that the entry system supplier wanted!
Alternatively what about those radio controlled appliance switches that B&Q sell for about 20!
Peter

I need a keypad with code entry, otherwise *anyone* can walk up and open the door. I have remotes to keep in the car etc. which open the door and they still work. What I'm after is a numeric code entry that lives outside the garage so one can get in without having a remote.

All the same issue I suspect, no key code required.
--
Chris Green

On Apr 2, 1:07pm, snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk wrote:

Rapid Electronics http://www.rapidonline.com/ part number 13-0508 12.44+VAT
If you search "keypad" they also do a range of vandal/waterproof keypads that could possibly be substituted for the one in the kit.
MBQ

Ah, thank you, I had hunted around at Rapid already but didn't find that (although I had found the waterproof keypads).
--
Chris Green

snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk wrote:

Or the traditional version:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo $55
--
Cheers,

John.

So *everyone* in the family has to have a key, it's also rather difficult to use when the door has an electric opener. Apart from that an excellent idea!
--
Chris Green

snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk wrote:

I thought you said they had remote keyfobs? So its only the occasional use in person so to speak...

You will note I linked to a key switch rather than a lock. Hence you could use it to trigger the electric opener without the joe public access of the straight push switch.

Well its ok if you are being a cheapskate ;-) Failing that spend the 15 on the electronic kit and a box.
--
Cheers,

John.

Sorry misunderstood keypad for keyfob!
Peter
snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk wrote:

http://www.garagedoors-sw.com/store/remote-control-systems/garage-door-operator-accessori/433mhz-wireless-digital-keypad/showitemSPLIFT433KP.aspx
It seems to me like a business oppourtunity :-)
If I knew the first thing about electronics I'd be on the case.
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk