Garage Door keypad

I am having problems with my garage door keypad. The interior remote and the other remote controls all work properly. The keypad is the only problem. I would guesstimate that it is only 6 to 7 years old. It is a LiftMaster Security+ but I don't have the model number.

I have tested the battery and even replaced it with a brand new battery and the keypad still does not operate the garage door. The connectors to the battery are clean. Is the keypad going bad? Can it be disassembled and cleaned? Or is it just the circuit board for the keypad just worn out and needs a replacement?

I understand that Chamberlain is the manufacturer and they manufacture several models that are rebranded such as Craftsman. If it needs replacement, is it recommended that I buy a LiftMaster branded one or can I goto a home improvement store or Sears and pick one up and know that it will work?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
somarr99

If not hardwired... The master unit will need to 'learn' the remote, otherwise anybody could just walk up with one and open the door. See if the master doesn't have a switch marked 'learn' or something like that.

Reply to
TimS

Having the manual would help a lot. You may find an on-line manual at their web site. As Tim said, it is likely that it just lost the code and you need to re-program it. It may also be defective. In either case you should be able to buy any make and model that is designed to work with your garage door opener. The brands do not need to match.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I understand that Chamberlain is the manufacturer and they manufacture

If you have a Menards Home Improvement where you live, they sell "Clicker Wireless Keyless" keypads that are compatible with Liftmaster and others. I've had one for several years. I'd guess I spent about $20 for it.

Reply to
Steve Newman

Thanks for the replies. I will investigate further.

I guess I should have added that it had been working until the past few weeks. You had to press the keys pretty hard, unlike when it was first installed when you could just "lightly" press the keys. I did not think about trying to reprogram it, so I will give that a try. It could be the keypad is just plain worn out.

Reply to
somarr99

Before replacing you should determine if it is defective or just needs to be programmed which can be done easily w/ a helper. Locate the L.E.D. light next to the "smart button" (programming button) on the motor head near the antenna wire (may need to remove a lens cover to see clearly)and follow a few steps.

Please note: If you have close neighbors & if they push their transmitter while you are doing the steps below, the neighbors transmitter may cause the LED light on your unit to flicker & you may need to repeat some of the steps. The LED flickers when it picks up any signal. The door only opens when it gets an authorized command.

1) Watch the LED light while the helper enters the current code & pushes enter. If the LED flickers the keypad probably just needs to be reprogrammed. Push the smart button momentarily & release, have helper enter code & push enter before the LED light goes out in 30 seconds. (Holding the smart button until LED goes out erases all code & transmitter memory). Test keypad. 2) If LED doesn't flicker when current code is entered have helper punch in any code without using any of the same number keys as old code (some or all of the current number buttons may be worn out). If LED flickers, program in a new code by using different numbers. Test Keypad. (Entering a new keyless code will automatically erase the old code). 3) If LED doesn't flicker at all during step 1 or 2 replace keypad. Yes you can use a Liftmaster, Chamberlain, or Craftsman keypad at long as it is rolling code (Security+) compatible. Other brands that say they will work w/ many brands are not always rolling code compatible & will not work w/ your unit. The Liftmaster keypad is a 976LM, I don't know the Chamberlain & Craftsman numbers off hand.

Good Luck! Doordoc

Doordoc