Upgrading heating system

I have a raised ranch with electric baseboard radiators. I am thinking of converting it to oil [no gas]. We also have central air in the main floor. Before I am going to be hassled by the contractors, I'd like to know what options I have and the approx. cost. I would love hydraulic radiators but I guess the cost would be extremely high. What about force air heat in terms of comfort and efficiency?

Reply to
markx

Where do you live, what is your KWH cost , what are your temp swings

Reply to
mark Ransley

Since you have the ducts already for AC, seems like you oughta be able to tap into them for heating too. I'd have to be there to see the setup.

AC ducts might be higher on the wall though.

Hydraulic: Using petroleum based hydraulic fluid to transfer motion. The lifter pistons on a backhoe are hydraulic.

Hydrionic: Using water to move heat.

Reply to
Stormin Mormonn

What does Hydrolic have to do with his system, Stormin.?

Reply to
mark Ransley

Any of the systems you are considering can work and work well. The choice is often dictated by local conditions, such as temperature norms and cost and availability of fuels. Also important will be the design of your home including insulation, room layout and possible access for insulation.

How happy you are with the final result is going to be based more on how well designed your system is for your home. Sizing and placement in you home is very important. This is one time I strongly recommend getting a good local professional to help you in your decision. Price not only is different from one part of the country to another, but two homes of the same size may present far different problems and cost.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Slant-Fin hydronic (water) baseboard is $6/ft at Home Depot. I put it around my entire house, and got by the doors and sliders by chopping a slot in the concrete slab. It was 10 times the work I thought it would be, took close to year of spare time that I couldn't afford, and injured my knees (or maybe I'm just getting old).

If there is a next time, I'll hire it out to professionals. One wanted $8K. A repair company was willing to bridge the leaking segments with attic runs (outside, using glycol) and install baseboard at about $600 per room.

Reply to
William W. Plummer