Seeking a 24V AC adaptor

For Christmas lights - the original says on it:

In-Li Industries Co. Ltd Model48. YL-20-24V INPUT 230-240V ~50HZ OUTPUT 24V~ Max 20VA

That should be easy enough, but the connector is similar to the kind that some old stereos used for their speakers - a flat spade, next to a round pin.

Any suggestions where I could find a suitable replacement?

Thanks,

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

The plug is known as a DIN speaker plug and can still be bought from Maplin, etc, if you can find a PS with the wrong one. However, I've seen this connector used on low voltage lights before. Dunno why - it's an awful device.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Cannot see the pictures on this page for some reason but there is a24v 20va transformer listed:-

use
the DIN speaker socket off the old transformers and wire to the replacement? Otherwise DIN speaker plugs and sockets available on Ebay (have not checked Maplin). Or cut the DIN plug off the lights and fit a standard (possibly 2.1mm) DC power in-line plug to suit the new transformer.

Reply to
Geo

1.5A - " also includes a 2-pin mini-din socket, commonly used on fibre-optic Christmas trees"

How similar? Could it actually be a DIN speaker plug?

appear not to list a 2-pin *mini* DIN.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I got one a year or two ago from these people :-

-

Reply to
Frank Erskine

=A0 London SW

I have a couple of sets of lights using these, and confirm that it's a DIN speaker plug & socket. I can only assume that they're trying to use a different plug for each voltage, which is desirable if you're plugging things in round the back of the sofa in the dark.

As far as the OP is concerned, I wonder whether it's really worth getting a replacement -- from past experience the shops will soon be cutting prices on unsold sets, if they haven't already.

Chris

Reply to
chrisj.doran

These were the only attractive Christmas lights I've ever liked. The only ones I see in the shops nowadays are huge, or blue.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

Higher contact pressure than the concentric hollow plugs used for most other low voltage supplies. For lighting currents, the hollow plugs have a potential fire risk, especially if the plug is bent in the socket so as to reduce the contact spring pressure even further.

It's also very cheap to assemble 2-pin DIN plugs on a moulding line, as the terminals are easy to access before potting and can be done automatically together on a bar soldering machine. Most concentric plugs need to be hand-soldered.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Probably less hassle to cut the plug off and just solder them together or use a bit of connector block.

Reply to
Scott M

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@proemail.co.uk saying something like:

Many Chinese makers are simply using the cheapest connector for the job, with no attention paid to interchangeability and wrong voltage issues. For example, many electro-bike battery packs are using an EU kettle plug for charging - how effing stupid is that?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

The connector is a DIN speaker pleg. Not the greatest..but usable.

You should be be to source a 24v or 2x12V mains transformer easily. get one a bit bigger than you need wire it ip, construct a cardboard box around it and POT the lot on potting epoxy or polyester.

Result will be a sealed safe 'brick'.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

because its certified for moderate current low voltage use. I agree. Vile devioce. when I designed an amp in the 70s, they wanted them. we wanted screw terminals or clip terminals. WE ended up with both..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Why is that stupid?

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

snipped-for-privacy@apple-juice.co.uk

I don't think that's an actual supplier - I think that it's simply reposting some content in order to appear in Google searches, for the advertisements at the top of each page.

For example:

Shipping And Handling < Insert information on your Shipping and Handling here >

Reaching Us If you need to reach us, please email us using the link on the store page, alternatively, you can call on 232514547 (International

+44 232514547) or fax us on or write to us at Discounted Christmas Decorations Discounted Christmas Decoration Discount Christmas Decoration ffffffffff United Kingdom

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

I guess that an adaptor described as:

INPUT: 230-240v AC 50Hz OUTPUT: 24v AC 1200mA MAX: 28.8VA

would be a suitable replacement, is that correct?

If these are just AC transformers and aren't attempting to provide a DC output, then I don't need to worry about their no-load/low/load behaviour.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

Because you could use a mains "kettle" lead to surprise the battery with

240V AC?
Reply to
Andy Burns

OK, the one thing I hadn't expected was that he meant the battery (not the charger) had a mains connector built into it.

Wouldn't that be illegal in the EU anyway?

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

Any reason why a 2V DC output wouldn't be satisfactory (for the Christmas lights that this thing will feed)?

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@apple-juice.co.uk (D.M. Procida) saying something like:

Somebody somewhere will plug in mains to the battery pack, guaranteed. Nice explosion and fire, iwt.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon