AC adaptor question

I need an AC adaptor for my Sony CD walkman. Apparently the one I need is a AC-E45A 4.5V AC mains power supply wall adapter. I contacted a company online which was advertising this product and they have sent me a different product, model no. GD-ACA-FU5VS. This is a 100V-240V adaptor but the output is DC 5V 2A. I plugged it into my walkman and connected it to the wall and it appears to work OK. I am concerned about it being 5V though, instead of 4.5V. Does this matter and should I send it back?

someone

Reply to
someone

The initial voltage from 3 fresh 1.5v dry cells will exceed 5 volts, and the walkman will have voltage regulation, so my guess is don't worry.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Sound like a common problem (ABC Product via Amazon UK)

6 reviews:-
company on Ebay selling same PSU (40 negs in last 12 months) - although they do there state "compatible".
Reply to
Geo

4.5v ac is an unusual adaptor output, and would give about 6v or more dc. I'd say its more likely a mistake has been made and its 4.5v dc output. If the walkman takes 3 cells, the original adaptor will be 4.5v. 5v isnt going to harm it, and will give you an extra milliwatt of audio power out..

NT

Reply to
NT

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk...

Thanks for your reply. Following your reassurance I have been using this adapter now for a week or so with no problems so I guess everything's OK.

someone

Reply to
someone

This thread came to mind yesterday: I bought a new shaver from Lidl (works very well BTW) and the adaptor is 4.4V - input is 100 - 250V AC, 50 - 60Hz. Seems that such voltage is more common than I tought as I hadn't known of it until this thread.

Reply to
PeterC

That will be a charger rather than a PS designed to replace dry batteries?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

er, yes, I think. It said that it had AA rechargeable cells (high capacity:

1.2Ah!) and I was hoping that I could, if necessary, swap them for Eneloops but there are 2 strips to peel off (and might not go back) and 4 screws. As it is claimed to do 90 min. on a charge that'll do for now.
Reply to
PeterC