Using a DC adaptor instead of AC for decorative lights

I have a set of Christmas tree lights which came with a 24V AC transformer. That transformer has died.

Would there be a problem using a 24V DC adaptor in its place?

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

Can't think of one provided the power rating is sufficient. If the DC supply were designed to supply vastly more power than the lights need then the voltage might be much higher than 24 when lightly loaded.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I just realised that the DC adaptor is rated for a measly 3VA... not quite enough!

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

Sounds like filmament lamps, in which case no problem.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

It should be OK provided you get the polarity right. The current has to go the oposite way round in the southern hemisphere. Some bulb filaments are coiled left hand to compensate but these are quite rare. Of course, you may be lucky and have universal bulbs where the filament is a coiled coil.

John

Reply to
John

They are northern lights, so I should be OK.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

Will they stretch t' foot of our stairs?

Reply to
Graham.

Well - the little coils in the bulbs are pretty tight, so I don't know how much is in there, but I bet it could be uncoiled to make it longer. How far north are your stairs?

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

It was once possible to buy replacement coiled elements for radiant fires. You simply removed the failed one, used a piece of string to get the length and stretched the new one to suit. My dad told me that in his college days (1930s) they heated a room by suspending such an element from the mantelpiece.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Apprenticeship ? I would have thought that would have been taught in Elementary School.

Bye.

G.harman

Reply to
damduck-egg