Sealed power adaptors

I've noticed a tend towards sealed power adaptors, instead o ones which can be opened to have a fuse changed.

The ones for our CHristmas tree lights seem to have blown a fuse, but there's no way I can open it up to find out. And I can't even work out whether its output is supposed to be 24V DC or AC - I presume the latter.

How are these things sealed, with some sort of plastic cement that will be impossible to break open?

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

Almost certainly solvent adhesive or ultrasonic welding. Even if you do get it open it is most likely that it will have a one time thermal fuse built into the windings on the transformer.

Either buy another wallwart - too late for this year I expect or look out for another set of lights in the post Xmas sales that runs on the same voltage/current bulbs and use the defunkt set as spares for the new set.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

How many have you changed a fuse in ?. Most have a thermal fuse in the transformer winding.

Dave

Reply to
gort

Some have screws, some are effectively welded. If its welded then its screwed.

If theyre filament bulbs, it wont care whether you use ac or dc on the bulbs, and any other adaptor with the same voltage and current output should do. LEDs are different, the adaptor may well have essenatial current control built in. So time for either a new set or a decent adjustable power supply that will run them and other things later.

NT

Reply to
meow2222