IP21 bathroom lighting?

Could someone explain to me what IP21 standard bathroom lighting is?

I can find lots of references to IP44 (splash proof) but nothing in FAQ or other information about IP21.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth

It really isn't hard to use Google

Andy Burns

Protection of first digit, 2: - Protection against fingers or other object not greater than 80mm in length and 12mm in diameter.

And second digit of 1: - Protection from dripping water.

A lighting fitting with the classification of IP 21, would be unsuitable for Zones 0,1 and 2 of a Bathroom, where IPX4 is required, (and for the record: - IPX5 if hosing down).

Where do you get the reference to "IP21 standard bathroom lighting"?

Jaymack

Reply to
John McLean

Just what I was going to ask. IP21 isn't something I'd put anywhere near a bathroom.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Thanks for the information.

Ikea sell lights marketed as "bathroom lights" with a to "IP21" standard mark. For example:

in store information also describes that the IP21 lights are splash proof. Quite misleading then.

Oddly they also sell 1 light that is branded as IP44 which is suitable for use in Zone 2.

They do however state, again a bit oddly, that all bathroom light installation should be carried out by an "authorised" electrician. Technically speaking shouldn't all installation - bathroom or not - be carried out by a competent person?

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth

shade. I wouldn't want an exposed bulb in a bathroom and/or the holder come to that. Certainly all normal bathroom lights are fully enclosed.

Something lost in the translation from Swedish? I haven't a clue what the heap of s**te Part P has to say about the changing of a bathroom light fitting.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

No, under Part P they have (apart from direct replacement) to be carried out by a person who, or whose employer, is registered with a Part P self-certification guild; I suppose that counts as 'authorised'.

Part P does not require competence.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Beg to differ Owain. If your work or that of your company is not good eneough, then you do not qua;ify

Reply to
Stephen Dawson