Fitting radiator before pump on GCH

I need to fit a radiator before the pump on my gas central heating system.

Is it feasible ????

or do I need to reposition pump ???

Reply to
stevesmith

Yup.

The pump could be situated anywhere in the circuit.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Are you sure??

Yes, but it isn't really a circuit is it, unless it's a one pipe system. Conventionally, all the radiators are connected in parallel - taking their feed from the flow pipe *after* the pump, and with their returns all connected into the boiler return pipe.

If you take a feed for one radiator *before* the pump, where do you connect its return? If you common this with all the other returns, you'll get virtually no flow through this rad because both sides will be at the same pressure. You *certainly* don't want to connect it in series with the flow pipe so that *all* the flow for the entire system goes through this single rad. One possibility may be to connect both the rad's flow and return pipes into the system flow pipe before the boiler - so that this bit of the system would effectively be a one-pipe affair. But it's pretty non-standard!

Reply to
Roger Mills

I think you need to give a bit more back ground info.

Why do you need to connect the radiator in this position? What is the radiator intended to do?

There is no way (i can think of) that such an arrangement would lead to a correct installation.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

I have a rear ground floor extension, that does not have any radiators in it. It worked out that the existing rads in the open plan kitchen and dinning room were adequate. But it does get very cold at the furthest places away from the rads.

A new gas boiler is located in the extension, the pump is in the ceiling of the kitchen. Space does make it easy to move the pump closer to the boiler.

The return pipe would be easy to T into, but its getting the flow pipe that is the problem.

I'm thinking along the lines of 10mm microbore.

Reply to
stevesmith

Maybe if the flow from the boiler is connected to the top of the radiator and the return to the boiler is connected to the bottom of the radiator you might get some natural (gravity) circulation. The tappings for the radiator would need to be as close to the boiler as possible. (i.e. like a gravity H/W tank)

Then again if the radiaor tappings were a long way from the boiler, the pump would force some water to go through the radiator rather than the boiler this would warm the radiator but reduce the effectiveness of the whole system.

My inclination would be to use a larger diameter pipe if you would be relying on natural ciculation.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Not with microbore pipe!

It's no use frigging about - but far better to move the pump nearer to the boiler. The rad tapping can then be *after* the pump - and it will work fine.

Reply to
Roger Mills