Furnace Inconsistant Light-Off

Coleman residential (LP) doesn't alway light-off. Novice at furnaces (but not ignorant) DYI'er (aircraft mechanic)

I changed the igniter first. Local parts man believed (99%) this would be the fix based on the appearance (arcing) and probable age (probably original). Relatively cheap first try too :^) Still doesn't always light off. Cycles the igniter 3 times, then goes 'to sleep' just as it's supposed to (I'm told). Power off - then back on - try again.

Is the ignition/control unit next ?

I do have 24v to the ignition unit, but I don't get 24v output to the gas valve. At least not every time. One time, when it finally opened, it was toward the end of the igniter cycle (it was cooling down). Is the gas valve on a time delay, or should the valve be powered immediately ? How does the control unit know when it's time to open the gas valve, since there's no temp sensor at the igniter.

This wouldn't be so frustrating or hard to diagnose if it wasn't an intermittent problem. (we hate those on aircraft too !!!) Usually, circuit-card controllers either work or they don't. They don't usually "kinda" work.

Thankfully it's not cold around here right now (Cincinnati area) Hate to have this sucker completely give up the ghost when it gets colder.

Watta y'all think...

Reply to
Marc Anderson

I think you need to call a pro. LP isn't anything to mess with. and FWIW the primary cause is probably

*not* the ignitor or its controls. You can change parts all day long and spend a lot of unnecessary time and money and still not correct the problem. Your only looking at symptoms, not the cause.
Reply to
Noon-Air

If you have 24v input to the ignition module on a call for heat and no

24v output to the gas valve then probably the ignition module is bad. Its not often that they are intermittent like you say but it does happen.

On a call for heat and once all the safeties are proven the ignition module gets 24v at which point the ignitor glows for a predetermined amount of time. On some models if the ignitor doesnt draw the proper amperage the gas valve isnt allowed to open at which point you have to replace the ignitor. On other models the ignitor will go through a warm up period of say 45 sec and then the gas valve gets 24v and opens. If flame isnt sensed within a specified time the gas valve closes and may re try a few times and lock out or it may lock out immediately.

Thats basically how they work and should give you enough info to be dangerous or fix it. Good luck.

Reply to
Power's Mechanical

The following message is written with respect to your profession !

As for the "LP isn't anything to mess with"... Don't take this wrong, but that falls under the normal 'understood' precautions. People might call me crazy, but I'm not stupid. Is there something specific you're trying to warn me of ?

Let's re-phrase my "novice" status - I'm not going to pretend to be a HVAC expert, but I'm a lot more advanced than your regular DYI'er. (I'm an aircraft maintenance instructor - on commercial aircraft) So, could you please respond on a higher level - please :^) I know you all hate it when a non-expert looks at the schematic and thinks he's got it all figured out. Well, I'll confess that's partly the case, but how complicated can this sucker be (I CAN grasp the concepts and understand system functions). And systems troubleshooting (including electrical)is part of my job, and I've got the test equipment. Yes, at some point I do have enough smarts to know when I'm in over my head.

So, back to the problem ... If it's not a control issue, then what's preventing the controller from applying the power to open the gas valve ? The vent blower switch and limit switch (which provide power to the controller) are good - there's 24v to the controller. I don't see any other inputs to the controller that it would use as logic for powering the gas valve. High voltage to the controller is good, and igniter works, so, that leaves the low voltage side of the controller - to the gas valve. So, what am I missing? I checked the voltages to/at the connector on the controller - it's easy to probe from the back of the unit.

I'd just like to understand... :^) but I also don't want to be lumped in the category from the "every year, there's got to be a few of these idiots" thread :^{

Remember, I meant this all in a respectful way !!! :^) Thanks Marc

Reply to
Marc Anderson

Like Mike said.... "once all the safties are proven"...... and *if* all of the safties are proven, then yes, look at the control module....

Reply to
Noon-Air

hell who knows it could also be a slow opening gas valve or intermittant gas valve. might be a bad or intermittant grounding issue. maybe itsa honeywell smartvalve issue.

Reply to
gofish

Smartvalve?? not hardly...

"Coleman residential (LP)"

Can you say trailer??

Reply to
Noon-Air

Thanks for the info. Ah-hah ! Igniter current is sensed to verify igniter operation. Have seen similar idea used on aircraft.

Looks like I had the basic concepts figured out, just wondered what little secrets I didn't know.

I'll promise not to be 'dangerous' :^) If I don't play with it myself, at least I'll be a little more knowledgeable when the pro comes to call.

Thanks again Marc

Reply to
Marc Anderson

Marc Anderson posted for all of us...

Seen Loni Andersen or listened to WKRP?

Reply to
Tekkie®

I said thats one way. Yours is more likely to be the other way. The valve gets powered open and if flame is established and sensed by a separate flame sensor within a certain amount of seconds it stays opened. If no flame is sensed the valve closes and the ignition module locks out.

Its not secret. Its basic operation. Each of the manufactures have certain twists they employ to achieve the same result. That result being a safe controlled explosion and fire.

I doubt you will be able to purchase a ignition module but if you do somehow manage to get one and install it, and when you go to light it for the first time Id advise keeping your face away from the burner area and keep one hand on the power switch in case you need to shut it off.

Youd be better off having a pro do it. He would be able to spot problems and correct them before they become bigger problems. The only reason I told you this info is to keep the scum bag rip off artists from selling you something you dont need so they can finance a fishing trip in Florida or something.

Reply to
Power's Mechanical

The R&R of the ignition module is simple, but I'd agree that it could be kinda scary the first time you light it off. There's always that last moment of apprehension when you hit the switch.

Thanks for that info and advice. I do have a company I've had good dealings with, so I'm comfortable getting them to do the job. Marc

Marc Anderson

Not bad in northern Ohio either and not missing it either :-))

Reply to
geojr

Marc Anderson wrote

Some of the Coleman's used a time-delayed relay called a sequencer. Clare's did too. It could be on it's way out. The schematic is on the panel that covers the wiring, right? Change the sequencer.

Reply to
Bob_Loblaw

Have a pro come out and pull the stored codes from the control module to see what is going on.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

Now that is fricken scary: You mean that the jet engine stays lit because a $1.49 thermocouple tells the jet fuel valve to stay open?

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

Let us know what your HVAC tech finds.

Reply to
BR

Ain't it the truth. Did I ever tell you the story of the gas co. guy who USED to have a beard?

Reply to
B-Hate-Me

A t/couple doesnt sense current.

Reply to
Power's Mechanical

Well you took more of a risk changing the igniter, I would change the module now. It's obviously the problem. Do you smell gas when it doesn't fire? No because the module isn't sending 24v to the gas valve. It could only be the module.

-CanadianHeat

--

--------------------------------- --- -- - Posted with NewsLeecher v3.7 Final Web @

Reply to
Anonymous

And I think you have a white rogers igniton module in that furnace. Most of them follow the same sequence anyway. As long as the thermostat is calling for heat and the safeties, pressure switch close, then the module gets 24v usually on the TH terminal. They all have internal timing, the sticker should say pre purge, relight times ect... Your module is getting 24v and starting it's sequence,

120v to igniter, wait 20sec and send 24v to gas valve boom ignition, flame sensor rectifies signal back to module. Sounds like the timing to the gas valve has failed. Would be another issue if your in fact smelling gas during your inconsistant light offs hehehe

-CanadianHeat