Furnace pilot light keeps going off

Since yesterday Pilot light in furnace was out so i went out bought thermocouple and replaced it. I wasn't able to light up pilot light after so many tries I held i down for 15 minutes. Finally it woked and remains lit. But when I turn on the thermostat(manual) not automatic it remains on then goes off. Also other thing i noticed it if put the thermostat to max pilot goes out right away. Could it be Thermostat or something else? Thanks

Reply to
paaji

You might have a partially clogged main gas valve. I've seen this quite a few times. Most such valves have an input screen to filter the impurities out of the gas. It clogs with time due to sediment and the output gas pressure drops due to the restricted flow.

To me, the hint is your statement "when I put the thermostat to max the pilot goes out right away". Thus there seems to be a pressure drop when the main gas valve opens.

In an emergency when it's been zero degrees at 2:00 AM, I've opened and cleaned out gas control valves. However, it's not something that I recommend and suggest you get a replacement or better yet, hire a repairman.

Also, makes sure that the pilot oriface is not partially clogged. The pilot flame should be mainly blue with the tip of the thermocouple immersed about 1/3 of the way into the flame.

Doug

Reply to
Doug

by the way this gas furnace

Reply to
paaji

Yes, replace the thermostat. Replace the thermocouple too. You probably got a bad one. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

I had trouble lighting my heater pilot light after I replaced some gas piping and got air in the pipes.

For some time the pilot light wouldn't light then wouldn't stay lit but it came good after passing some gas (through the pipes I mean).

If there's air in the pipes, the problem may go away by itself.

Reply to
ben.aust

That would make two bad thermocouples in a row, plus a bad thermostat. Do you really think all 3 are bad? I don't.

mm

Sounds like the main burner flame is blowing out the pilot. Call someone who really knows what he's doing, and isn't just a parts changer, before you hurt yourself or your family.

Reply to
Bob

Evaporator coil is shot...you need a completely new system.

Reply to
cornytheclown

When you run service, you see it all the time. Do what you want but in the end, I have hot water and a warm furnace. What do you have? Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Thanks for replies I replaced thermocouple and thermostat. But when I turn on the heat after lighting the pilot it starts ok But 2 minutes later every thing it shuts off. Pilot goes out as well. When it goes out i hear little click in furnace don't if that is fuse or something else. Going to call technician will see but don't know where the problem is thanks

Reply to
paaji

Please let us know what the problem was...

Doug

Reply to
Doug

You may have gotten a bad new thermostat but replace the main furnace circuit board. Those have a way of going bad a lot. If that doesnt work, you will need to replace the gas valve. Report back on what worked. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

I had an oven in a slummy apartment some years ago that would do that. Took about a dozen requests to the manager to have them attend to it. They brought me a different stove from another empty apartment. It only had 3 working burners on the top. Later on it developed a gas leak, and after a dozen requests (and lots of microwave dinners) They swapped it out with a stove from an empty apartment.

Which ended up being the one I started with.

:-D

Reply to
phaeton

After talking to 5 different technicians I am still at same place where I was before.

  1. Technician doesn't know much so he told me to call gas furnace technician
  2. Told to get whole furnace replaced as he things new ones are better but doesn't know what the problem is
  3. This technican did something it worked for a while then turned off need to call someone again
  4. This one did something and it keeps on working but he told us not to turn off cause if we do then back to where it was before
  5. Same thing

After calling to these guys I was confused First technician he told me there is something wrong with Fan Timer so he told me replace it. But i am unable to find anywhere either on net or local stores. There is three different hooks you need to set which i changed around and it is working for 2 days now on and off. I think problem is with timer of fan as well cause whole things shuts off just before fan starts and then fan goes out as well. Any suggestions where i can find a replacement of fan timer thanks

Reply to
paaji

Technicians get paid to repair, not talk. Thats why you are still at the same place as you were before. If #1 tech told you that, then you didnt call a tech. #2 Tech. Same as #1. He could have been a salesman but he wasnt a tech #3 Tech. I doubt he was a tech either. By the way, "friends" dont count as techs. #4 Tech. Again, he doesnt sound like a tech. Either they fix it or they dont. #5 Tech Same thing All in all. I think you are just a tight ass and wont pay the money it costs to fix something right. You dont mention what they actually do or fix. If you have a real company fixing something, you can look at the invoice and it will tell you what they did and what part was replaced (if any). I dont think you have any invoices. Next, why would a tech tell YOU to replace the fan timer??? IF he is a tech, he would replace it, NOT YOU. Are you that cheap that you told him to find the problem but NOT fix it. A fan timer is a standard part that most any real company would carry on their service truck. Fan timers dont have "hooks" and you obviously have not freaking clue what you are screwing with. I hope you dont kill yourself or your family by screwing with a gas appliance that can kill you. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

It is not that i don't want to pay money to fix it up. First technician told me he doesn't have much experience with gas furnaces he played around a bit and think that fan timer is problem. So recommend me get a fan timer. Other one wants to replace the whole furnace as he think this is not efficient enough. So i called others to get estimate to replace it. Others technicians told to it is fixable don't need to replace it. So he fixed the furnace but as soon as we turn off and turn on again it doesn't work. Money isn't the problem but i should know where is problem. He said problem was with thermocouple.One said to replace it other said it can be fixed. I thinking of replacing whole thing as well. It is taking too much time of nothing. Any online retailers offers good prices on gas furnaces. And which one is best thanks

Reply to
paaji

Yes

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

Sorry bud but your story still reaks! No way you called that many "qualified" techs and paid for them and got that service. No Freakin Way! You called buddies and maybe made phone calls to companies but you got no real service. You are explaining a relatively minor repair. Now, to top it off, you are looking for a CHEAP online retailer! You just went from cheap to stupid! Online furnaces carry NO manufacturer warranty. Dont believe me? Look up Goodman (goodmanmfg.com) and see what they put in writing. Get over it bud. Find a reputable company and get it done right. Most people dont have the knowledge to properly size and install HVAC equipment. I see it everyday. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Call the manufacturer of your furnace and give them the model number and ask them if they make a retrofit that replaces your pilot light with an electronic spark driven ignitor. Replacing the entire gas furnace with a new one is a major project and is going to be much more expensive.

A lot of things besides a failed thermocouple can cause pilot lights to not stay lit. Contamination of the gas in the gas line is one of them. Have you called your gas company?

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

You are as helpful as moldy bread under the refrigerator.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon