DC power supply goes wonky

I have a 12 volt power supply that converts 110AC to 12V DC (actually 13.5.) I haven't used it for some time. I was using it to check some wiring and find it is now putting out 21 VDC. ??? ds

Reply to
DS

Is there a question there? Sounds like a rectifier blew.

Reply to
Pop

Whatever you are using to check it's output voltage is upside down. Flip it over and it will read 12 instead of 21.

Reply to
Matt

It may be intended to have a load on it. Some cheap supplies will have a big number when unloaded.

Reply to
gfretwell

Really need more information. What kind of power supply and what is it supposed to be used for. If has a regulator it appears it may be bad. To find the problem you have to go inside and measure the voltage before the regulator if there is one.

Reply to
Rich256

You haven't given us much to go on. I presume though that this is probably a linear power supply, maybe 3 or 5A output? This would basically consist of a transformer, rectifier/filter capacitor and some kind of regulator. The latter is probably a simple discrete circuit consisting of a few components. One of them will likely be a transistor in a metal can mounted on a heatsink.

If you haven't used this thing in a loooong time but it was working the last time you put it away, the first thing I would suspect would be any electrolytic capacitors, including the big one that filters the output of the transformer/rectifier combination. The most likely semiconductors to fail would be the rectifier diodes (2 or 4 discrete diodes, or one square bridge rectifier perhaps) and the transistor. But then... that might be all the semiconductors there are.

Do you measure any AC voltage on the output? A small AC voltage (aka ripple) riding on the high DC would indicate a failed pass transistor, but if the AC voltage is significant, the filter cap has probably dried out.

Of course if this is a switchmode supply you can forget most of this, but most switcher failures result in loss of output rather than overvoltage.

-=s

Reply to
Scott Willing